Chatterbox helps refugees access meaningful employment using their existing language skills. We are a start-up on a mission to highlight the significant untapped talent residing in the refugee community.
So far, we have developed a language-tutoring platform matching refugees with employment opportunities teaching their native languages both online and in-person.
As well as breaking barriers to employment for displaced people and facilitating their economic and social integration, Chatterbox disrupts the corrosive myth that refugees are a drain on society rather than people with potentially lots to offer.
Founded in 2016, our organisation is growing fast. In less than a year we have won backing from SOAS University of London, Bethnal Green Ventures, and the innovation foundation Nesta. Our work has been featured by the BBC, Reuters, The Huffington Post, and Deutsche Welle.
We have even bigger plans for the rest of 2017, not least building a team of creative and talented people to continue delivering on the promise of this idea.
If you’re excited by the prospect of joining an impactful start-up and ready to make your mark, we want to hear from you.
About the role:
The role will change early and often. You will initially be working on building up our community of refugee language tutors, including defining and delivering our recruitment strategy, overseeing tutor training, and ensuring that we consistently deliver an excellent learning experience to our students.
Areas you will initially be working on:
- Partnerships: Developing new strategic partnerships with our recruiters
- Communications: Building awareness and communicating our offer to the wider refugee community
- UX/service design: Designing, building, and testing different elements of our refugee recruitment and training pipeline
- Operations: Managing the selection and on-boarding of refugees into Chatterbox and the delivery of quality tuition to our customers
- Community building: Creating a vibrant digital community for Chatterbox tutors keeping them engaged, informed and well assisted with their professional development
- Impact measurement: Conducting user research and measuring positive social impact resulting from our service
- Team management: Building and managing a team of volunteers to help you in your role
What we can offer you:
- An amazing learning experience working within an impactful social enterprise that addresses one of the defining issues of our time
- Excellent opportunities for progressions within an exciting and growing team
- Opportunities for flexible working
The ideal persona:
You will be the second full-time team member to join Chatterbox. As such, you will have considerable scope to progress. It is almost guaranteed that you will have a tremendous impact on the direction and development of this venture as well as wider social impact.
Operating in a critical business function, you do not need to have expertise in all of the areas outlined; however the ability to learn quickly, combined with a bias to action, will be critical to doing well in this role. You should also have a deep interest and/or experience in creating innovative and efficient business systems and an enthusiasm for working on recruitment, teacher training, and community building.
As a candidate you will have demonstrable academic and/or professional achievements, commitment to our social mission of ensuring refugees reach their full potential in work, and an entrepreneurial mind-set with the ability to work in other business areas as we adapt to the changing needs of the start-up.
- Interest/experience in one or all of: service design, community building, early stage start-ups, language learning/teaching, and helping refugees
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Experience setting up successful processes, for example setting up a team
- Experience working to tight deadlines across multiple projects
Key role information:
Salary: contract up to £25,000 + stock options, depending on experience
Location: Shoreditch, London, UK
How to apply:
Send your CV to email@example.com along with a note giving your thoughts on the following questions:
- What expertise do you have that would be relevant in this role?
- How would you go about designing a system to test the language skills of refugees applying to become teachers with Chatterbox?
- Describe a time that you built or created something you were proud of.