Help us develop our engineering team. Inspire those around you.
We’ve got an exciting opportunity for you to support a growing team of talented software engineers, facilitate technical initiatives and utilise your management skills.
Do you have experience in managing the performance and development of technical staff? Do you have an empathetic leadership style with a focus on coaching each person to help grow their career and skills?
If so, we’ve got a great role for you to stretch your wings and see what you’re really capable of.
Who Are We
xDesign is an award-winning digital transformation and software agency based in the centres of Edinburgh and Leeds. We pride ourselves on working closely and collaboratively with our clients to craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients.
Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful end-products has enabled us to scale to over 200 people in the last couple of years, and we are preparing for further growth.
We are always looking to try new approaches, libraries and architectures to stay on the cutting edge. Our developers work as part of project teams but also regularly collaborate in communities of practice to discuss how we can improve and share knowledge.
We also have a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within engineering.
We care about hiring great people so you’ll be working with a team that cares. We support each other with problems, push each other to get better and celebrate success together.
Developers, testers, product owners, project managers and designers all collaborate as equals on projects to make the best product possible.
Every day’s progress is a communal effort and you’ll be a valued member of the team.
Check out our 5 Questions with Iris (Acting Head of Engineering) on what life is like inside the Engineering function at xDesign.
We develop our backend services in Java, using a variety of modern architectures and frameworks. Depending on the specific service, our stacks have recently included Spring Boot, Guice, Micronaut, AWS, lambdas and others.
We utilise automated testing across all of our codebases and primarily develop in Java 11+. Code is always peer-reviewed and, as a team, we meet regularly to discuss new approaches, challenges and ideas.
- Coaching and supporting the growth of around 6-8 engineers through regular 1-2-1s and ongoing personal development plans
- Driving the technical success of projects. Although you will not be responsible for directly developing features you will have technical oversight of projects and will help developers define technical solutions, push forward technical discussions and ensure everything is on track
- Liaising with clients to discuss their technical vision and supporting our teams in providing the best possible solution
- Working with engineers to facilitate, drive and support technical initiatives across the business
- Being an active part of the engineering management group to collectively tackle challenges encountered, plan resourcing and improve our technical and people management best practices
- Facilitating engineering interviews alongside our senior engineers
- Proven success in managing the technical performance and personal development of engineers using coaching techniques to support their growth
- Experience and enthusiasm to lead, support and develop technical teams towards success in their projects and individual careers
- A strong set of principles focused on your team and their personal performance, achievements and progression
- Content in a technically hands-off role, you'll bring the technical authority to guide and mentor technical teams
- A solid technical background developing backend applications
- Experience overseeing the technical success of projects including working with other non-engineering colleagues (such as product owners and designers)
- Experience facilitating and guiding technical initiatives with cross-functional technical teams
- Variety - the chance to work with a wide range of clients from start-ups to big name brands
- Personal development and progression plans including 6 learning and development days
- 32 days holiday a year (inc Bank Holidays, which you’re free to take whenever you want)
- Private medical Insurance (and wellbeing incentives, deals and discounts) with Vitality
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies
- Access to a financial wellbeing platform (via Bippit)
- A Macbook Pro and other top tech to help you
- Regular social events (in person and remotely)
- Cycle to work scheme
- A competitive salary which we’ll discuss with you at the start of the hiring process
- YuLife employee benefits and lots more!
This position is available for UK based remote working as well as office or hybrid working for those based around Edinburgh or Leeds.
Think this is for you? Get in touch for a confidential chat about how you can become part of the team.
Learn more about life at xDesign on our careers site and for more insights into our hiring process check out our careers FAQs.
We believe that representative teams made up of people with different backgrounds, skills and points of view help us build the best workplace possible and enable us to create genuinely innovative, broadly useful products.
We are committed to our goal of creating the most inclusive workplace possible. As we strive to build an environment where everyone can thrive and be themselves we will continue to investigate and challenge biases, while working to identify and remove obstacles to inclusion.
If you need additional support or accommodation during the application process, please don’t hesitate to let us know .