At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A / B tests.
We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take.
The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
About the Accommodations Business Unit
- We are responsible for the design & delivery of services and products to offer customers the best selection of properties and rooms.
- Our products & services are available on the Web, Mobile and API platforms, and span over all aspects of Booking.com accommodation business from getting inventory from partners to displaying rooms to our customers.
- Our focus area is to provide customers with the best selection of properties & rooms by understanding customer intent, getting more relevant properties and rooms, and using existing inventory as effectively as possible, with the support of in house solutions to help properties and their staff run and grow their business through direct and 3rd party solutions
As a Software Engineer II, you are responsible for the development, performance, and scaling of our mobile apps, public website, and internal systems.
You will work independently and will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team.
Important aspects of the job include :
- Rapidly developing next-generation scalable, flexible, and high-performance systems, with end-to-end ownership by monitoring and adjusting SLIs and SLOs.
- Solving issues with the mobile apps, website and internal systems, prioritizing based on customer and business impact
- Acting as an intermediary for problems, with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Testing; we have thousands of experiments running at the same time, interacting with each other.
- Evaluating customer needs and coming up with ideal solutions for it, assessing different languages (Perl, Java, etc), architecture and risks.
- Contributing to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We are looking for driven Software Engineers who enjoy solving problems, who initiate solutions and discussions and who believe that any challenge can be scaled with the right mindset and tools.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best :
- Minimum of 3 years software development experience; using 2 or more server side programming languages. Preferably Perl, Java, Python, Scala, C++ etc.
- Demonstrable experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL or similar relational databases
- Previous experience with distributed systems
- Familiarity with mobile app development & developing mobile app backends
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience of working on products that impact a large customer base is an advantage
- Excellent communication; written and spoken
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Pre- Employment Screening :
- If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law.
- Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.com.
- This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.