NUMA BARCELONA - MANAGING DIRECTOR
About the Project
mVenturesBcn, a subsidiary of Mobile World Capital Barcelona and NUMA (the “Partners”) are partnering to develop in Barcelona a European leading acceleration program (“NUMA Barcelona”) dedicated each year to ten (10) ambitious start-ups with technologies, products and operations relying on mobile technologies.
Helping start-ups grow their operations and reach KPIs eligible to an institutional round will be at the core of the 4-month program. Entrepreneurs will be able to leverage the experiences of tier-one European mentors traveling to Barcelona to meet them and the knowledge of a dedicated team of experts in residence working with them on subjects ranging from strategy, roadmap phasing, distribution to operations’ design. The program’s content will largely center around growth and scaling of business functions, including workshops on growth marketing, sales methodology, recruitment and funding. The end of the program will be focused on preparing start-ups to an institutional round, including qualified introductions to leading European Venture-Capital Funds following a demo-day at 4YFN during the Mobile World Congress.
Leveraging NUMA’s network and experience in the field of acceleration, NUMA Barcelona will particularly appeal to start-ups with previous operating history, business traction and looking to expand their business in Europe.
In exchange for the program, NUMA Barcelona will take a 6% equity stake in all participating start-ups. Start-ups will receive 50.000€ by way of a convertible note to fund certain investments to be made during the program and to facilitate their relocation to Barcelona.
To support this project, the Partners are looking for a Managing Director who will be responsible for the development of the program, its day-to-day operations and the management of the portfolio of equity stakes in start-ups.
- Recruitment of the local acceleration team, including a Program Director and a Community Manager.
- Recruitment of a tier-1 group of seasoned entrepreneurs and qualified experts in residence willing to mentor accelerated start-ups
- Scout international start-ups and talents in Europe’s main start-ups and tech events
- Manage the selection process – call for applications, evaluation of desktop applications, interviews and interactions with the Board
- Oversight of the program and allocation of acceleration resources (experts in residence, mentors, partners)
- Management of start-up’s and acquisition of equity stakes (including negotiation of shareholder’s agreements)
- Organisation of events to promote the portfolio, including namely the kick-off and Demo day
- Full responsibility for NUMA Barcelona’s P&L
- Preparation of annual budget for approval by the board
- Quarterly reporting of performance vs. budget
Portfolio – oversight of equity stakes in start-ups
- Finalisation of standard terms of investment
- Negotiating and closing acquisition of equity stake s
- Reporting of start-ups’ major developments requiring board attention: product, commercial agreement, fund raising and exit opportunities
- Coordinate research and negotiations for local and international sponsors in line with the agreed sponsoring objectives
- Manage relationship with sponsors and execution of the packages of services to be provided to sponsors (content, reporting, and events with start-ups)
- Coordinate the execution of agreed marketing plan, including content to be marketed, events for the local ecosystems to be organized
- Public relations and local representation of NUMA Barcelona
The successful candidate must be a person with proven experience in the field of entrepreneurship, start-up acceleration, and portfolio management. He/she will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- The candidate must have been a start-up entrepreneur for a period of 10 years and with experience in growing successful businesses at international level.
- The candidate must have occupied executive or management positions.
- The candidate must have knowledge and experience in technology, preferably in company acceleration and incubation, and in start-up investments (angel/venture capital).
- The candidate must have strong leadership capabilities and project management skills (goal-setting, organization, and implementation)
- The candidate must be fluent in English. Working Spanish and/or Catalan is a plus.
The Managing Director reports to the board.
Terms of the contract
Minimum 3-year contract with NUMA Spain
- Salary in line with experience and market practice
- Substantial role in NUMA’s organisation, Barcelona being the 2nd largest acceleration program in the NUMA’s network
- Main location is central Barcelona, Spain
- Traveling as needed to support NUMA Barcelona’s international marketing plan and to build partnerships for the start-ups program
- Position to be filled-in before end of May 2016
- NUMA Barcelona Acceleration Program to start in November 2016
Contact and enquiries
All applications (resume and 1-page cover letter) and requests for information can be sent to Gwenael Ledan, HR Manager at NUMA ([email protected])
About the Partners
mVenturesBcn is a fully owned subsidiary of the Mobile World Capital Barcelona (MWCB), incorporated to foster MWCB’s efforts to promote entrepreneurship and digital innovation in the city of Barcelona.
NUMA is an integrated innovation network bringing growth and human capital to promising projects. Since its creation in 2000, NUMA has emerged as one of Europe’s leading innovation practice with three core activities – coworking and community outreach, open innovation and start-up acceleration.
NUMA has accelerated 104 start-ups over the past 5 years with a demonstrated track-record. NUMA accelerates start-ups in 4 cities (Paris, Moscow, Bengaluru and Casablanca).