Chatterbox helps refugees access meaningful employment using their existing language skills. We are a start-up on a mission to highlight the significant untapped talent residing in the refugee community.
So far, we have developed a language-tutoring platform matching refugees with employment opportunities teaching their native languages both online and in-person.
As well as breaking barriers to employment for displaced people and facilitating their economic and social integration, Chatterbox disrupts the corrosive myth that refugees are a drain on society rather than people with potentially lots to offer.
Founded in 2016, our organisation is growing fast. In less than a year we have won backing from SOAS University of London, Bethnal Green Ventures, and the innovation foundation Nesta. Our work has been featured by the BBC, Reuters, The Huffington Post, and Deutsche Welle.
We have even bigger plans for the rest of 2017, not least building a team of creative and talented people to continue delivering on the promise of this idea.
If you’re excited by the prospect of joining an impactful start-up and ready to make your mark, we want to hear from you.
About the role:
You will be defining our marketing strategy and attracting more users to the service. You be experimenting with different marketing techniques and using data analysis to measure their impact so that we can find the right overall approach for Chatterbox. You will occasionally help with other areas of the business.
Areas you will initially be working on:
- Managing our social media profile, developing really great content to grow our reach and engagement with target audiences.
- Responsibility for the Chatterbox website, ensuring all information is up-to-date and accurate.
- Developing content for other marketing material, such as our email newsletters and brochures.
- Managing Chatterbox events such as our bi-annual tutor’s gatherings
- Developing opportunities for Chatterbox to be represented at external events
- Supporting PR and media work for Chatterbox helping us get some nice coverage around key events.
- Measuring the effectiveness of online and offline marketing strategies using tools such as Google Analytics
- Providing other business support as needed
What we can offer you:
- An amazing learning experience working within an impactful social enterprise that addresses one of the defining issues of our time
- Excellent opportunities for progressions within an exciting and growing team
- Opportunities for flexible working
The ideal persona:
You will be joining a team of two, initially part-time with a view to grow the role with extra funding. As such, you will have considerable scope to progress. It is almost guaranteed that you will have tremendous impact on the direction and development of this venture as well as wider positive social impact.
You will have an interest and/or experience in marketing and data analytics. You will be an excellent communicator with the ability to create great written and visual content. Given that this will be a part-time role initially, you will need to have a meticulously organised and collaborative approach to working, drawing on support from our fantastic team of volunteers where needed.
- Broad knowledge of online and offline marketing techniques
- Experience using Google Analytics and data analysis
- Experience or interest in some of the following: early stage start-ups, learning or teaching languages, helping refugees
Key role information:
Salary: contract up to £9,000 + stock options, depending on experience
Hours: Part time
Location: Shoreditch, London, UK
How to apply:
Send your CV to [email protected] along with a note giving your thoughts on the following questions:
- What expertise do you have that would be relevant in this role?
- Describe an idea for an effective marketing campaign to attract language learners to Chatterbox?
- Describe a time that you built or created something you were proud of.