Cureous is a Swiss open-science startup, creating a new human health research platform to support the investigation of new treatments for chronic conditions.
Our mission is to enable patients and researchers to collaboratively research and develop new, safe and cost-effective treatments for chronic conditions that become part of practiced health care and improve the life of millions.
We are a closely knit team working remotely from locations across Europe. We live and breathe thru Slack, Trello and Quip. We co-locate on as needed basis to tackle hard problems, and on a regular basis to touch base as a team and have fun. You should be willing to travel for about a week per quarter.
As our lead backend engineer, you will extend, improve and operate the pillars of our platform: a well designed and scalable API, a robust database, and a secure infrastructure. A real team player, you will collaborate closely with our frontend engineers and product owner, and be the team coach and mentor for all things backend.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Design, maintain and extend our Go/PGSQL backend and API, with scalability in mind
- Define and evolve our infrastructure on AWS, including Linux servers, web servers, database, S3, notifications, and authentication
- Implement strong security measures in all layers of our backend
- Fluent English
- BSc/MSc degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Autonomy and accountability, including in a remote working setup
- Experience as a backend engineer role (5 years), ideally in a lead position (2 years)
- Experience in API design and implementation
- Experience in building and operating a web facing platform
- Extensive experience with cloud based infrastructure services
- Experience in rolling out releases with complex data and schema migrations
- Expertise in two or more of the following languages: Go, Java, C#, Ruby, Python, Perl, NodeJS
- Expertise with SQL databases
- Expertise with Linux/Unix and Shell scripting
- Good understanding of security challenges
- Good understanding of scalability challenges
- Experience with Git
Experience in these specific domains is a plus:
- DevOps tools (Ansible/Chef/Puppet)