Umbeya is a pre-seed startup building a tool to spot junk information online. It’s designed to use crowd intelligence to spot fakes and sort the good information from the bad. We want to build a worldwide community whose judgements can be used to quickly verify any piece of content that users submit. We will analyse the crowd’s judgement and make the information available to all users, so that everyone can see what content is trustworthy, what should be taken with a pinch of salt, and what can safely be ignored.
We are starting with fake news because that looks like the biggest junk information problem right now, but we want to expand to other misinformation soon. We currently have a closed alpha prototype and are now recruiting for the project team to build our open beta, which will become our core platform. We’re based in London.
Front-end developer for a cross-platform development project over web, and subsequently Android /iOS apps. You will be the front-end lead for our core product, working with a small backend team and systems architect.
We want someone who can design an intuitive, clear user interface. This will involve taking multiple, complex data views and conveying them in a simple and user-friendly design. Your design will substantially influence our core product. You will need to work both independently and in a small team, covering a range of front-end skills. Fast learning and autonomous decision-making will be basic requirements. The right fit will see rapid pay scaling and advancement.
- Experience using at least one pre-processor and framework (SASS, LESS, AngularJS, Bootstrap, etc)
- Responsive or cross-platform design
- Adobe Illustrator or equivalent
- Ability to independently design and build a full web frontend
- Strongly preferred: graphic design experience or education
- Neo4J / OrientDB experience
- NoSQL scripting with JS / Java
- Java application development experience
- Working with full stack development tools
- XML & Android Studio, Android app development
- X-Code / Swift, iOS app development
Agile or Lean development methodologies