Isotropic Systems is seeking world class candidates to join a fast-paced, proven team working on cutting edge technology in a successful startup company that brings significant opportunity for the right candidate.
We are pioneering the introduction of innovative and disruptive low-profile multiple-beam satellite communications terminals for mobile and fixed applications. These highly integrated terminal systems combine elements of new advances in microwave lens optics, phased array antenna technology, and dynamic beam pointing control systems using analog and/or digital signal processing. Our terminal designs operate as fully electronic beam steering systems. Our IP has applications across a wide range of market sectors including: aeronautical, land mobile, maritime, and 5G, providing broadband, multi-beam, two-way communications with dynamic tracking of geostationary and non-geostationary satellites or terrestrial nodes.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Reading, UK
Isotropic Systems is seeking an Embedded Systems Engineer with broad experience in design and implementation of embedded systems hardware and software to contribute to the development of electrically-steered satellite ground terminals in mobility and non-geosynchronous orbit (NGSO) applications. This position will report to the Director of Terminal Management and will collaborate closely with the Active Microwave and Systems Engineering teams to implement the necessary interfaces, hardware, and software to meet product and regulatory requirements. This role will contribute to high-level software architecture as well as low-level firmware and electronics implementation, including component specification, schematic capture, PCB layout and sourcing, testing, and debugging. Familiarity with common embedded high- and low-speed communication protocols and the ability to make performance and cost trades for product integration is highly important. Background in design of digital electronics, real-time computing and control, embedded computing, and firmware for high-volume products is necessary; background in communications systems or signal processing is highly beneficial. A strong candidate will also have a strong understanding of principles and considerations in building motion control systems for hybrid electro-mechanical systems.
The Embedded Systems Engineer is expected to bring a high degree of creativity and problem-solving capability to search outside the box for new solutions to questions in the design, testing, control, and production of a cost-effective, high-performance Satcom terminal. In addition, technical leadership is expected in the areas of embedded computing, electronics, and the divide between software and hardware implementations. Background in physics, electronics, microwave circuits, or electromagnetics with 5+ years of industry experience is required,
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the planning, design, implementation, and testing of embedded systems for control, monitoring, and communications
- Translate engineering requirements into a design that is functional, efficient, and inexpensive
- High-level software development, including architecture, hardware interaction, implementation, testing, and release
- Low-level firmware development, including architecture, hardware interaction, implementation, testing, and release
- Low-level digital electronics hardware development, including schematic capture, layout, sourcing, testing, and evaluation
- Present and generate professional reports on results and progress to customers, vendors, investors, and company management.
- Interact with parallel design teams to jointly optimize overall product performance
Skills and/or Experience Needed:
- BS or MS in Electrical, Systems, or related Engineering discipline
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proficiency with industry-standard CAD/CAM and circuit simulation tools required
- Comfortable working at all levels of hardware design, including requirements, planning, schematic, layout, prototype, testing, and production
- Experience in use of common digital logic, microcontrollers (8+ bit), microprocessors (32+ bit), FPGAs, and embedded soft processors
- Thorough knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of available alternatives for hardware and software design decisions
- Equally capable at hardware and software design
- Experience with Linux-based software development processes, environments, and principles (e.g., bash, make, cmake, source control, remote access)
- Standalone problem-solver
- High written and oral communication skills for internal and external presentations, meetings, and reports
- High-performance in a fast-moving startup environment
- Background in design and layout of RF (phase-matched stripline, co-planar waveguide and/or substrate-integrated waveguide) and/or high-speed digital design is highly desirable
- Technically proficient in MS Office products
Isotropic Systems offers a highly competitive compensation package (salary and equity), excellent benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Isotropic Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, non-disqualifying disability, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We base all hiring decisions on candidate qualifications and business needs.