The UK’s employment agency industry is crowded (12,000 and counting!). Low barriers to entry, homogeneous products and no accountability have led to varying quality and no meaningful way for agencies to differentiate themselves except on price. In their fierce competition to win contracts, many agencies promise what they cannot deliver. As one industry saying goes, “Just say yes! Worry about how later.” Workers and employers alike routinely have their expectations violated by agencies.
One space that is particularly affected by this is Construction, where 50,000 tradespeople rely on agencies for their livelihoods. It’s well documented that the construction industry is struggling with low productivity, low predictability, poor image and poor information transfer (see Farmer Review). As an electrician of 14 years who has worked through agencies for half that time, I can testify that tradespeople care, but the systems that surround them are not supportive.
My mission is to empower tradespeople with access to richer, more accurate and up-to-date information and to give them a voice. earwig, by Subtap, is a platform that aggregates agencies and jobs along with crowdsourced reviews, giving tradespeople more truth and more choice, while giving agencies a way to strengthen their brand.
Subtap is the winner of The 2017 Future of Work Investment Challenge, a winner of a Do It Award from UnLtd, is being supported by philanthropists Tom & Claire Shutes and is receiving incubator support at InnovationRCA.
Now, I’m seeking a co-founder and experienced full-stack developer to share the responsibilities and rewards of Subtap. Your key role will be to oversee the development of the product from concept to delivery.
You must have:
- Prior project experience of various tech stacks, with expertise and confidence developing in MEAN stack
- Experience in beginning with a design and creating a working prototype; e.g., receiving a UXPin/Sketch/Invision design and creating HTML and CSS pages
- Experience in database modelling (from data modelling -> applications -> security -> maintenance)
- Experience building products that went to market
- Evidence of cool side projects
You could have:
- An interest in the construction and employment agency industries
- Some experience in data analytics
- An appreciation of good UI design principles; e.g., Material Design
You’ll be focused, discerning, realistic and practical. You’ll enjoy talking through ideas. You’ll be independent, self-starting, honest and kind.
Questions we’ll likely be pondering:
- How can we validate those entries?
- How can we ensure these data are bang up-to-date?
- Where is Blockchain relevant here?
- Couldn’t we hack this together for now?
- How can we add even more value?
This role is part-time or full-time. Payment and equity are both negotiable. You will ideally be London-based as you will often be working at the InnovationRCA incubator amongst other exciting startups where we receive first class support with our business development and investment opportunities.
So, if this sounds like you, call me and let’s talk! I very much look forward to hearing from you.