Isotropic Systems is seeking world class candidates to join a fast-paced, proven team working on cutting edge technology in a successful startup company that brings significant opportunity for the right candidate.
We are pioneering the introduction of innovative and disruptive low-profile multiple-beam satellite communications terminals for mobile and fixed applications. These highly integrated terminal systems combine elements of new advances in microwave lens optics, phased array antenna technology, and dynamic beam pointing control systems using analog and/or digital signal processing. Our terminal designs operate as fully electronic beam steering systems. Our IP has applications across a wide range of market sectors including: aeronautical, land mobile, maritime, and 5G, providing broadband, multi-beam, two-way communications with dynamic tracking of geostationary and non-geostationary satellites or terrestrial nodes.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Linthicum, Maryland or Thames Valley, UK
Isotropic Systems is seeking a Beamforming Engineer with experience in developing satellite ground terminals to specify, design, and implement beam pointing and satellite tracking control systems for SATCOM terminals in mobility and non-geosynchronous orbit (NGSO) applications. This position will report to the Director of Terminal Management and will collaborate closely with the Active Microwave and Systems Engineering teams to implement the necessary interfaces, hardware, and software to meet product and regulatory requirements. Background in beamforming from Electrically-Steered Antennas (ESA) and maintaining satellite links using stabilized reflectors is necessary for this role. Designs and implementations of the antenna beam pointing and tracking system must be performed with understanding of expected physical, mechanical, and electrical tolerances, in the presence of noise, shocks, and vibrations.
Phased array beamforming requires knowledge of and compliance with the relevant FCC and ITU regulations for the power-spectral density (PSD) masks for transmit mode, and maximum efficiency in receive mode. The requirements for the tracking system are specified by the environment and regulatory masks, which must be flowed down to the terminal subsystems. The Beamforming engineer will also contribute to the development of calibration processes (real-time and factory calibration) to ensure accurate beam pointing at all times.
The Beamforming Engineer is expected to bring a high degree of creativity and problem-solving capability to search outside the box for new solutions to questions in the design, testing, and calibration of a cost-effective, high-performance Satcom terminal. In addition, technical leadership is expected in the areas of analysis of complex Antenna systems for all-electronic antenna systems and motion-controlled stabilized platforms, and monitoring and maintaining trends of performance across multiple product lines and customer development projects.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Specify requirements for the pointing and tracking control system for Isotropic’s electrically-steered SATCOM terminals
- Determine tracking architecture, algorithms, and implementation methods
- Design pointing and tracking systems to meet requirements
- Determine hardware and software requirements
- Interface with Active Microwave Circuits team to provide necessary control signals to command and control the beamforming operations
- Develop functional models of pointing and tracking subsystems for testing algorithms and control software
- Specify and select necessary hardware components (processor, circuitry) to implement the tracking and pointing system and satisfy product requirements and budgets
- Organize software development supporting the pointing, tracking, and control.
Skills and/or Experience Needed:
- BS or MS in Electrical, Systems, or related Engineering discipline
- 7+ years of experience in developing Satellite Ground Terminals
- 5+ years in the design of beamforming networks, ideally for satellite applications
- Knowledge of the FCC and ITU regulatory requirements on SATCOM terminals and compliance standards
- Demonstrated capability in pointing and control techniques and methodologies for SATCOM ground terminals
- Demonstrated capability in phased array pointing and control techniques and design methodologies
- Translation of product requirements and specifications into technical requirement and specifications
- Extensive experience in working with industry standard modeling tools, hardware design, integration, testing, and troubleshooting
- Proficiency with standard scientific computing toolkits, languages, and packages, such as Matlab/Python etc.
- Mixed-signal electronics design, schematic capture, and layout
- Embedded systems development
- Technically proficient in MS Office products
- Exceptional technical leadership ability
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to communicate calmly in a well thought out response, verbal and written
- Must have substantial problem-solving abilities
- Interpersonal skills to effectively work with Isotropic staff internally as well as working effectively with suppliers and customers
- Ability to effectively present information in team meetings and design reviews as needed
- Knowledge of the SATCOM ecosystem and standards
- Occasional international travel on request
Isotropic Systems offers a highly competitive compensation package (salary and equity), excellent benefits (including paid holidays) and an environment that recognises and rewards your contributions.
Isotropic Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, non-disqualifying disability, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We base all hiring decisions on candidate qualifications and business needs.