BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than member companies to build a just and sustainable world.
From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration.
Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR's more than 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.
Empower Work Overview
Empower Work is a new collaboration, founded by BSR's HER project, CARE, ILO-IFC Better Work, and Gap Inc's PACE program, focused on accelerating and expanding gender equality and women's empowerment across global supply chains, through the delivery of proven interventions and greater cross -sector collaboration.
Its mission is to empower women workers, embed gender equality in business practice and catalyze systems change with an initial focus on the apparel, footwear and home sectors.
Empower Work will be hosted by BSR with a longer-term intention of becoming an independent not-for-profit entity
Preferable locations in Paris, Copenhagen, London and Asia (remote).
- The Associate Director will be part of Empower Work's leadership team, reporting into the Executive Director and will lead on the initiative's programmatic performance working closely with the Executive Director to drive and achieve the overall impact ambition with a particular emphasis on the initiative's capacity strengthening pillar as set out in the Impact Model.
- The Associate Director will have oversight over a small team of program technical managers as well as country representatives.
- The Associate Director is expected to balance having the global oversight whilst taking full responsibility for the leadership of specific Empower Work priorities.
- The Associate Director will display a strong commitment to and belief in the importance of women's empowerment and broader gender equality across global supply chains.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Program Leadership: Overall of delivery of Empower Work's programmatic work.
- The Director will provide oversight and often hands-on support for the delivery of best-in-class projects and programs working closely with grant makers and companies.
- The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing projects at any one time, working actively with project teams, and providing thoughtful partnership to project managers.
- Driving and achieving impact: Lead on continuous improvement of Empower Work's programs and propose and implement changes to deepen and scale impact.
- This includes working with the Executive Director to set out and implement new approaches to scale up.
- The Associate Director is expected to work closely with the MEAL responsible manager.
- Business Development: Actively develop and pursue funding opportunities, in particular from institutional and philanthropic funders, including leading on proposal development.
- This will involve working closely with dedicated grant development lead(s).
- Develop strong relationships with existing and potential funders.
- External Representation: The Associate Director will represent Empower Work to external audiences in by presenting at relevant conferences;
- demonstrating thought leadership through writing and publishing blogs, reports, etc.;
- forming beneficial externally proactively working to create opportunities to raise the profile of Empower Work more broadly.
- Organization and Team: Act as career manager for Managers with program technical responsibility and country representatives (TBD).
- The Associate Director is expected to work effectively across all teams, including country teams and will Support the Associate Director, Business & Operations to ensure well-functioning operational arrangements with BSR, as the interim host, and supporting efforts to establish organizational independence for Empower Work.
- As part of the leadership team, the Associate Director will contribute to building and maintaining and strong team culture and overall high performing team.
- The Associate Director will deputize for Executive Director internally and externally as needed.
At BSR we have implemented a transparent total compensation framework with an emphasis on internal equity.
In order to maintain our equity our hiring rates are below for this position.
Location adjustment will apply if successful candidates reside in New York, San Francisco or Paris.
France 82, € (8% target bonus)
Denmark , (8% target bonus)
UK 72, £ (8% bonus target)
Singapore , Singapore Dollars (8% bonus target)
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience with a strong track record in relevant positions
- Demonstrated experience in designing and overseeing the scaled deployment of women's empowerment and social impact programs on a global scale, with a focus on operating programs in emerging markets.
- Experience in designing and leading initiatives and programs that focus on workers employed in global supply chains
- Highly organized, with the proven ability to work independently and remotely, prioritize and complete multiple projects, meet deadlines, and maintain consistent attention to detail
- An exceptional communicator with interpersonal skills that allow you to work collaboratively with partners from across the private, public, and non-profit sectors
- Experience in start-ups or new initiatives and leading the development and set up of systems and processes.
- Team management experience across cultures and time zones.
- Evidence of strong delivery against ambitious targets and objectives
- BSR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a global organization, BSR strives to represent a culmination of different perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and ideas.
- BSR encourages employees to be themselves and share their unique stories, as these initiatives foster a global environment of creativity, forward thinking, and open-mindedness.
These values drive the innovative work of our staff and support BSR's overarching mission to build a just and sustainable world.
At BSR, discrimination because of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and / or related medical conditions) , gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by regional laws, is not condoned.
BSR strives to maintain a fair and inclusive working environment. Thus, these factors do not influence recruitment, performance management processes, and project assignments.
BSR aims to support necessary accommodations and has a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior and retaliation in response to the needs of our employees.