Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to reverse the tide of deforestation by planting a billion native trees. So far our 8+ million users have planted over 60 million trees. Our reach is expanding in all means and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for an Android developer to join us in Berlin and help bring our Chromium based browser to the next level! Do you want to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users?
What you’ll be doing:
- Using your Java skills to develop new features and improve our Android browser
- Use your expertise in the mobile space to give insights and advice for improving our products for our users
- Continually improving the development workflow, tooling and environments thereby increasing our velocity
- Building a deep understanding of the Chromium source and architecture
- Helping us build and improve our products and make our users happy
- Collaborate closely with our product manager and the other engineers
What you bring:
- You have 3+ years experience in native android development
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You have hands on experience with Java and the Android SDK
- Experience with Android UI, design principles, patterns and standard methodologies
- You really care about testing and have experience with testing suites
- You take ownership of your code, and you believe that also means making sure it does the right thing in production
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values and our love for trees
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
- Huge bonus for Chromium development experience and/or C++ skills
- Some iOS experience or willingness to learn
- Knowledge and experience in web and the search space would be beneficial
What we offer:
- Opportunity to be part of something meaningful while shaping and developing a product used by millions of users
- Be a member of a highly skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Space to add your expertise without being rigid about the way things should be done
- Awesome quarterly team off-sites with talks, workshops and hackathon projects
- Opportunities and support for your career development in the direction you chose. We have both a lot of in-house expertise and desire to facilitate skill sharing and mentoring, and if it can’t be found ‘in-house’ then we will find an external guide or mentor to bring in.
- Fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience
- Excellent office in the heart of Berlin and some remote working is possible
- Flexible working hours and location (two no-meeting days per week) and possibility for reduced hours
- All the tools you need for an enjoyable work experience (shared books, technical equipment, etc)
- Weekly team breakfasts
- Oh, and coffee, and organic snacks and fruit, we have plenty
We recognise that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.
By submitting your application you are agreeing that your private details will be collected, stored securely and used for the purposes of recruitment. The data that you provide will be visible to the hiring teams only. It will be deleted within a month after a position has been filled. Here is a link to our privacy statement: https://info.ecosia.org/privacy. Please reach out to [email protected] for further requests.