Accountant Job Description
Hala Systems Inc.
Hala is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
We are a team of 28 working together around the world to solve difficult problems. Founded by a rocket scientist, an ex-diplomat, and an expert in using technology for good, we hail from leading educational, research, and business institutions (including Stanford, MIT, Wharton, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LBS, MIT-Lincoln Laboratory, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, Deloitte, Booz, and the World Bank) and are united by a mission to create a sustainable business that provides massive social impact.
Hala is seeking a detailed-oriented Accountant to support Hala’s accounting and financial management operations. You will play a critical role in shaping our long-term financial systems and processes. You will be responsible for executing the organization’s core accounting functions, including maintaining accounts payable and accounts receivable, posting transactions, performing periodic reconciliations, preparing monthly financial statements, and overseeing financial dashboards and reports. Additionally, you will support tax- and labor-related filings and contribute to the financial management of Hala’s grant and service contracts, maintaining compliance with our policies and donors’ regulations. This role will work closely with the Finance & Grants Manager and will report directly to the CFO/Deputy COO. We’re a distributed company with team members spanning the globe, but accounting operations will be conducted in Lisbon, Portugal. It’s a full-time position with some limited travel. The start date is ASAP.
The engagement will be discussed in greater detail with top candidates during interviews.
- Prepare and record journal entries in QuickBooks and/or other financial management systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain and balance general and subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and reconciling entries.
- Maintain and balance general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries, preparing a trial balance, and reconciling entries.
- Coordinate monthly close activities and assist with the preparation of consolidated financial statements.
- Assist in facilitation of accounting cycle to include preparation of appropriate supporting documentation of journal entries, payment requests, and bank reconciliations.
- Update, maintain, and ensure organization of all financial files (receipts, disbursements, invoices, financial reports, etc.) in accordance with Hala policies and filing standards.
- Implement and maintain reasonable internal financial controls and procedures. Ensure any established policies/procedures are being followed.
- Maintain and update the financial dashboard and prepare managerial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing financial data.
- Assist Finance & Grants Manager in financial management of Hala grant contracts, ensuring strict adherence to Hala policies and procedures and donor rules and regulations; includes ensuring that incurred costs are allowable and reasonable.
- Support Finance & Grants Manager in properly assigning costs to appropriate program classification codes.
- Assist the Finance & Grants Manager to facilitate proper and timely processing of payment requests.
- Manage accounts receivable (A/R) and accounts payable (A/P), including preparing aging reports, preparing and reconciling invoices, and scheduling disbursements and payments.
- Maintain fixed asset inventory.
- Facilitate the gathering of payroll supporting documents prior to payroll preparation.
- Comply with all legal requirements by keeping up to date with regulations and correspondence provided by relevant government entities; file appropriate reports; advise management on needed actions, as applicable.
- Prepare submission of all tax withholdings (payroll income tax, Social Security contributions) and corresponding reports (VAT reports) to relevant parties, with guidance from Hala’s external tax and regulatory advisors, as needed.
- Assist with financial management systems maintenance and controls.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- A university degree and a certification in Accounting or Financial Management required; advanced degree in Accounting is preferred.
- 3+ years of bookkeeping, accounting, and financial management experience, preferably at a company engaged in international development and/or stabilization activities.
- Prior experience accounting for cost-reimbursable, donor-funded grants and/or contracts.
- Experience with accounting software packages, such as QuickBooks and, preferably, other midsize enterprise accounting systems.
- Excellent working capabilities with MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Strong understanding of accounting standards (GAAP, IFRS).
- Prior accounting experience in Portugal and familiarity with EU tax reporting is a plus.
- Prior accounting experience in group corporate structures (parent & subsidiary) is a plus.
General Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Fluency in English.
- Fluency in Portuguese and work authorization in Portugal is preferred.
- An eye for detail and accuracy.
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Team player with rock-solid ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- Ability to strategize effectively to meet deadlines and competing obligations.
- Excellent organization skills and self-direction.
- Values-driven, trustworthy, honest, and a passion for helping people in need.
- A good sense of humor, patience, and strong spirit.
What Hala Offers You
- Life-saving social impact - each working hour helps increase civilian protection and save more lives.
- Competitive salaries, along with a professional/personal development stipend.
- Unlimited vacation policy - at least one 2-week consecutive vacation per year highly encouraged. No set number on how many days you can take off for your own well-being.
- Diverse, international team of all-stars, building your network within and across sectors.
- An organization committed to teamwork, workplace community, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Flexible working policy, including the ability to work from home.
- Opportunities for international travel, including to program locations and satellite offices.
How To Apply
- Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected].
- In your cover letter, please specify if you're willing to relocate to Lisbon, Portugal.
- Please include the text “[Accountant]” in the subject of the email.
- Interviews and requests for references will follow.