The VP of Business Development North America at Andrew Alliance is a senior level leadership position and a critical member of the company’s leadership team. The VP, Business Development works to improve Andrew Alliance’s market position through the creation, establishment and nurturing of partnerships (e.g. collaboration with companies that are not end users but will share revenues with Andrew Alliance) and achieves financial growth targets by identifying business opportunities, negotiating and closing business deals, whilst maintaining extensive knowledge of market trends and developments within the geographical region. The VP is responsible for managing business partners and relationships and developing new ones, driving business development initiatives, and implementing effective co-sales and co-marketing collaborations.
The role must successfully build strong relationships with all stakeholders within the company. This position works closely with peers in sales, service and marketing, R&D and operations to develop and execute strategies by the implementation of the business plan to drive long term growth and profitability and shape the culture of the organization. The individual in this position must be able to operate at both the strategic and tactical levels with a market-centric, strong B2B business growth mindset and focused on mutually beneficial partnerships.
The incumbent is entrepreneurial and resourceful in his / her conduct and approach and skillful in applying strategic, key and complex negotiation principles in collaboration with C-level executives. The role acts as the advocate and focal point of all business partner related actions in the territory. He / She will be expected to manage partners independently, make important decisions about the partnership approach and network development while also leveraging the strength of the entire Andrew Alliance team.
Accountabilities and KPI’s
- Tasked to establish business opportunities to co-market, co-sale or similar partnerships of robotics, connected devices, software and liquid handling solutions in conjunction with Life Sciences industry partners
- Identify, study, develop, propose, and execute a North-american territory partnership plan
- Negotiate contractual agreements, establish, manage and maintain relationships and vertical co-marketing and co-sales agreements (or similar partnerships) with business partners
- Efficient Communication with the Sales and Marketing teams for the distribution of leads or commercial opportunities, and vice-versa collection of business opportunities from internal sources.
- Identification and formation of business partnerships within the territory, including the negotiation of complex contractual arrangements, and the deployment of global commercial and business relationships with strategic partners.
- Successfully navigate and manage complex partnerships, involving software, connected systems, assays and kits, robotics. Successfully propose and defend the value proposition to the Andrew Alliance management, and engage the internal responsibles for sales, marketing, R&D and operations in a collaboration process that can involve capital instruments, accessories, services, consumables, software platforms and assays – together with the partners.
- Tasked to identify appropriate strategies and tactics to contact partners to address emerging market opportunities
- Deliver technology and applications overview presentations, technical/scientific seminars and presentations on Software as a Service (SaaS), Robotics and connected devices in the conext of Life Science applications – and articulate flawlessly Andrew Alliance’s value proposition.
- Liaise with all departments to ensure a top-level partner experience and facilitate resolution of partnership issues by demonstrating a strong broad base of knowledge in software and hardware business models and Life Science Tools expertise.
- Develop contractual agreements with partners to drive medium and long-term revenues. Responsible to formulate and propose specific business and commercial agreements; ensuring approvals in line with company policy, licensing and legal requirements.
- Maintain technical competence on all robotics, software and IoT competitive products and the market trends through extensive reading and attendance of training meetings, industry conferences and research.
- Provide regular accurate partnerships forecasts, report pipeline of activities, organize/maintain business relations.
- VP Sales
- VP Marketing
- The sales, service and marketing teams in the territory
- Key business and channel partners, industrial and academic subject matter experts
The role holder needs to be an accomplished strategic business development manager, and avid networker with good communication skills and with demonstrated credentials in creating B2B partnerships; capable of thinking strategically but also very hands-on as part of a small team, following through with the tactical execution of programs.
Professional/Technical/Expertise and Personal Attributes
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or a related scientific discipline (Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Immunology or Biochemistry); an MSc. Or PhD qualification would be an asset.
- An advanced degree of business understanding, either developed by education or by direct hands-on experience. A proven performance track record in strategic partnerships creation.
- A C2 or C1 english language level is required.
- A significant number of years of relevant work experience in the industry ideally including liquid handling, lab automation and workflow solutions, ELN/LIMS Software experience or SaaS would be an asset; application related competencies in Bioanalytics (using tools like LC/MS, Flow Cytometry, etc.) are a condition; experience with applications fields like Immune Oncology, Protein expression and analysis, Diagnostics or Genetics would be a real plus.
- A capable team player adept in facilitating resources and obtaining support and buy-in across organisational boundaries including good skills in contract drafting and legal discussions, with proven experience in negotiation
- An accomplished leadership personality; takes calculated risks and has a strong desire to win business and establish long-term business relationships.
- Promotes company goals and ideals; experienced in communication, market analysis and market segmentation.
- A resourceful individual with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced business environment with well-developed professional and strategic communication skills at different levels, and a proven ability to develop and grow partnerships through networking within the partner organization.
- Demonstrated track record in business opportunities generation, prospecting business partners and business development.
- Solid organizational skills and ability to set priorities/manage time effectively.
- Work remotely from the headquarters, ideally in our Waltham office and in alternative out of a home office. Must be able to travel up to 60% of the time and without restriction.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, presentation, and time & territory management skills as well as a professional appearance and demeanour are expected.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in areas of negotiation, persuasion, contract drafting and problem-solving.
- Proficient in listening, understanding and questioning – and ability to translate that information to a value proposition.
- Strong technical presentation skills. Comfortable interacting with audiences of different levels of knowledge and seniority.
- Demonstrate command of scientific knowledge to engage in collaborative sales process.
- Ability to lead workshops, conventions, seminar series and other marketing activities as required. Comfortable conducting large seminars.
- Capable and interested in working in a team environment. Maintains an effective, professional working relationship with internal counterparts and colleagues.
- Goal oriented, highly self-motivated, independent, and successful individual who enjoys challenging and dynamic work environment. Ability to work with a high degree of independence; a self-starter.