Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs - our financial wellbeing and our planet's future - are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that's in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit www.octopusgroup.com
The Automation tester role is part of an agile product team, working within our Labs Centre of Excellence.
You'll be working on our Investment Services products, planning and executing the tests needed for the user stories delivered in each sprint, and using your automation experience to help us improve our testing coverage.
On a day to day basis you'll be involved in:
- Taking part in all scrum ceremonies - sprint planning, daily stand-up's and retrospectives - to represent the testing function
- Reviewing User Stories and estimating the testing tasks
- Planning and executing tests on front end web applications and API's
- Writing and executing manual exploratory tests
- Writing and executing non-functional tests where appropriate
- Writing automated regression tests
- Helping to maintain the automation framework and identifying and implementing improvements
- Investigating issues that arise using your technical knowledge and skills
- Ensuring that the SDLC and Test Strategy are followed
What you'll need to be successful:
- You are enthusiastic, self-motivated and passionate about delivering high quality software
- You have hands-on experience testing front end web applications & RESTful web services (any Postman experience is a bonus)
- You have hands-on experience writing, executing and maintaining automated regression tests, using Selenium with C#
- You have some experience in designing/maintaining automation frameworks
- You have an appreciation for both manual and automated testing and know when it is appropriate to use each approach
- You are happy to run manual exploratory tests when needed
- You have worked in an agile scrum development team, where you are well versed in estimating and prioritising testing tasks
- You have used GIT or similar test repository tools, and follow CI/CD processes using VSTS/ TeamCity/Jenkins (or similar)
- Your experience covers testing on Cloud technologies (Azure or AWS) and Microservices
- You have a reasonable understanding of non-functional (performance and load) testing
- You possess strong written and verbal communication, have an outgoing personality, and are confident dealing with others
- Having an immense attention to detail is in your DNA
- You enjoy being flexible, proactive, enthusiastic and hardworking
- You possess great problem-solving skills - fully understanding a problem, suggesting possible solutions, and proactively following through to conclusion
- You are comfortable performing peer reviews and providing constructive feedback as part of a mentoring/coaching approach
- You value learning and may have a testing qualification - e.g. ISTQB Foundation or Certified Agile Tester certification
- You enjoy working in a friendly, collaborative, fast paced team
- You want to make a difference and enjoy feeling a sense of achievement at the end of the day
And to really stand out from the crowd:
- You know your way around a BDD approach, documenting test scenarios using Specflow
- You have experience working in a DevOps environment
- A degree in the field of Computer Science or another rigorous discipline would be great
- Any financial domain knowledge
- An ISTQB Advanced Test Certification (or similar)
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.