We are combining science, large scale data and machine learning to tell you what to eat based on your unique metabolism.
Are you the right candidate for this opportunity? Make sure to read the full description below.
We're leading the world's largest ongoing nutritional research project in collaboration with scientists from leading universities including Harvard, King's College London, Massachusetts General Hospital, Oxford and Stanford.
We are a well-funded start-up based in London and Boston, and are backed by founders, investors and entrepreneurs who have built multi-billion dollar technology companies.
Join us in tackling wide-ranging technical challenges from DNA analysis, to machine learning, to building apps and products for millions of users.
We're also the team behind the popular COVID Symptom Study app -designed by doctors and scientists at King's College London, Guys and St Thomas's Hospital and ZOE's talented development team.
Now, with over 4 million contributors globally, the COVID Symptom Study is the world's largest ongoing study of COVID-19.
About the role: As Staff Software Engineer, you'll work closely with and report directly into our VP of Engineering to provide inspirational technical and architectural leadership and mentoring across the company.
You'll own some of the most strategic and challenging efforts from concept through implementation and evolution.
You are a natural team player who knows how to get the best out those around you.
Whether you've built APIs; or systems that scale to billions of requests daily; or worked with terabytes of incoming data; or integrated with complex partner ecosystems; we have a lot of different problem spaces that you will enjoy.
Our primary language is Python, but we look for amazing engineers and computer scientists (not just programmers), so we welcome and expect people to have a range of backgrounds
- we particularly favour intellectually curious, polyglot engineers who have built platforms of high scale and high complexity and who love to solve hard problems.
* You will design, build, implement, and own systems across all parts of our platform; from high-volume data collection, enrichment and automated analysis, through to backend services and RESTful APIs
* You should keep on top of the latest and greatest developments in distributed systems; the cloud; and data science fields
* You will motivate and inspire the team to deliver our technical vision
* You will lead by example; in order to foster a culture of Engineering excellence and craftsmanship
* Contribute to overall technical strategy and lead the teams on architectural design and decision making
* Mentor and guide team members to deliver better software, faster
* Lead on technology product, practice and tool selection
* Invest in non-functional requirements such as performance, security, testability, maintainability and reliability
* Contribute to the product roadmap and ensure the technical and product visions are aligned
* Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e.
code reviews, testing, etc)
* Sharing your knowledge across (and possibly outside) the company in your areas of expertise
* As a Series A Start-up, we frequently deal with high levels of ambiguity.
It's imperative that you can perform under these conditions.
We work in an incredibly supportive environment with cross-functional teams that aim to help each other grow Must have:
* You have been an Architect, Principal or Lead Software Engineer previously in your career, in brilliant software development teams working in technically challenging environments
* Track record implementing best practices around CI/CD, containers and what a great release process looks like.
We release several times a day.
* You're obsessed with how your applications will hold up in production, with real users doing bad things to them
* You've led or mentored teams, such as in the use of design and integration patterns, domain modelling and engineering excellence.
* Experience with cloud computing platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure) with workflow managers (i.e.Airflow) or messaging systems (PubSub, Kafka)
* BSc or MSc in Computer Science or an equivalently rigorous discipline
* Competitive Salary & Share Options
* The opportunity to make the world healthier, and have fun learning about cutting-edge science across biology and genomics
* Active contribution against the fight with COVID19 and the opportunity to save lives
* An exciting early-stage start-up environment, without the funding worries, and with a commercial team that has built billion-dollar revenue businesses
* A crucial role as one of the first colleagues in a truly world-class multidisciplinary and diverse team
* Access to our Lunch & Learns where we invite experts or scientists from our team.