Alkemics is a B2B business platform enabling retailers to discover, negotiate and launch new products from their 1000+ suppliers.
In Europe alone, millions of products are launched every year, each with up to 500 attributes and made by one of 300,000+ manufacturers. Prior to Alkemics, establishing a commercial relationship required numerous back-and-forths between retailers and brands, physically (in trade shows, for instance) or pseudo-digitally (fax, email, XLS templates...) and between various teams (procurement, category management, quality, CSR, e-commerce, marketing...). Because of this painful process, it often took more than 60 days to launch a product. This situation is unsustainable at a time where consumers are demanding a broader product choice, more local products, where Amazon and Alibaba are raising the bar of omnichannel efficiency, and at a time where Lidl and Aldi are setting a standard for productivity.
Alkemics disrupted the space with a fully digital platform where brands create and share their product catalog. Retailers can explore those catalogs and run business workflows, searches or reportings to select, negotiate and list those products in their assortment. Once a retailer is on-boarded, invites are sent to that retailer’s suppliers to join the platform on a freemium basis, enabling quick network growth.
Alkemics was founded in Paris in 2012. With 98 out of the top 100 CPG manufacturers (Nestlé, Unilever, L’Oréal), the 7 largest retailers in France (E. Leclerc, Carrefour, Casino, Auchan, U-Enseigne, Cora, Metro…) and 4 of the largest UK retailers (Tesco, Ocado, Waitrose, Sainsbury) using the platform, Alkemics now holds a very strong and unchallenged position in the French and UK market. The business is now expanding internationally, starting with DACH and BENELUX. Along with international growth, the focus of the business is to leverage its platform and client relationships to build an end-to-end B2B marketplace with the ultimate vision of ordering directly within the platform.
Alkemics raised a total of $50M from tier-1 investors Index Ventures, Partech Ventures, Serena Capital and Cathay Innovation. Its latest funding round took place in April 2020, bringing in Highland Europe, a leading Growth VC. The business is made of 100 employees and is growing extremely rapidly.
Online marketplaces are now commonplace for C2C and B2C markets. This trend has started in B2B sectors too, driving tremendous value and economies of scale. Today, thanks to a captive user base, Alkemics is in a strong position to “platformize” the notoriously difficult retail space. Brands are keen to have their products discovered in a more efficient and elegant way. Retailers are interested in negotiating products more quickly. Brands also want to better control the product introductions within each store.
At Alkemics every day is different and your mission will include
- Participate in sprint planning to analyze, negotiate, evaluate tasks
- Implement software that is scalable and reliable
- Implementing, maintaining and monitoring data connectors
- Ensuring the interoperability of the platform, including participation in technical projects around the build of connectors to & from partners or customers systems
- Interacts with Project Delivery team and clients in order to assess / scope / test / deliver client interoperability requirements in time and with quality
- Writes technical documentation
What we're looking for in you
- 3-5 years of Development experience
- Broad knowledge and a genuine curiosity about software development
- Experience with API integration and documentation
- Knowledge of HTTP protocol and Web services REST JSON APIs, SOAP and XML
- Python coding experience
- Ability to participate in a customer-facing project
- Ability to learn quickly and prioritize in the face of demanding timeframes and fast-paced environment
- Fluency in English and French.
What you’ll get from us?
- A true startup experience in one of the fastest-growing startups in Paris
- Low bureaucracy and daily successes that have a real impact on the business
- You will participate in the team's growth and the revolution of the CPG industry
- A fast learning-curve with growing responsibilities
- Working with smart people, hungry to change the retail world and passionate for success
- Extras weekly sports sessions, meditation, hackathons, team offsites, lunch sessions