Innovate with the latest technologies. Help create amazing web apps.
Do you have experience developing scalable APIs and backend systems? Do you care about writing clean, maintainable and testable code?
What about innovating with modern technologies and working in an environment where no two days or projects are the same?
If that sounds interesting, our Java Engineer role might be a fit for you.
Who We Are
xDesign is an award-winning digital transformation and software agency. We pride ourselves on working closely and collaboratively with our clients to craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients.
Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful end-products has enabled us to scale to over 200 people in the last couple of years, and we are preparing for further growth at pace.
We are a people-first business. We care about hiring great people who want to make meaningful contributions.
It’s important to us that we support and help each other, pushing colleagues to work hard and improve. We value everyone’s unique input and skills : developers, testers, product owners, project managers and designers all collaborate as equals on every project.
That collaboration and teamwork is what helps us deliver innovative, exciting products for our clients.
To ensure everyone gets the help and encouragement they need, we’ve developed a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within Engineering.
You'll get close support from your line manager with your day-to-day work, and you’ll have the support and resources you need to evaluate your career growth and professional development.
We develop web and mobile applications in a variety of different languages and frameworks, with AWS as our primary cloud platform.
Our CI / CD infrastructure varies with what makes sense we have to balance customer requirements with making sure we have the right tools for the job and you will be an integral part of influencing these choices of technology.
- Developing RESTful Java APIs, including interaction with databases with a focus on readable, maintainable and well-tested code
- Integrating with third-party APIs, such as payment gateways
- Creating associated API documentation and working in partnership with developers consuming your APIs
- Working as part of a cross-functional scrum team and contributing your expertise to drive the overall success of a project
- Being an advocate for engineering best practice within your project team
- Understanding users and identifying who they are and what their needs are
- Can use agreed standards and specifications to design, create, test and document new or amended software
- Demonstrating understanding of common Software Engineering concepts
- Creating robust code which is scalable with a long term impact and broader concerns underpinning decisions
- Strong knowledge of API development using Java including ORM usage
- Enthusiastic and experienced in using engineering best practices, clean code, and unit testing
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional development team
- Azure or AWS cloud experience would be a bonus
- Python skills are not required but are beneficial
- Variety - the chance to work with a wide range of clients from start-ups to big name brands
- Personal development and progression plans including 6 learning and development days
- 32 days holiday a year (inc Bank Holidays, which you’re free to take whenever you want)
- Private medical Insurance (and wellbeing incentives, deals and discounts) with Vitality
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies
- Access to a financial wellbeing platform (via Bippit)
- A Macbook Pro and other top tech to help you
- Regular social events (in person and remotely)
- Cycle to work scheme
- A competitive salary which we’ll discuss with you at the start of the hiring process
- YuLife employee benefits and lots more!
This position is available for UK based remote working as well as office or hybrid working for those based around Edinburgh or Leeds.
Think this is for you? Get in touch for a confidential chat about how you can become part of the team.
Learn more about life at xDesign on our careers site and for more insights into our hiring process check out our careers FAQs.
We believe that representative teams made up of people with different backgrounds, skills and points of view help us build the best workplace possible and enable us to create genuinely innovative, broadly useful products.
We are committed to our goal of creating the most inclusive workplace possible. As we strive to build an environment where everyone can thrive and be themselves we will continue to investigate and challenge biases, while working to identify and remove obstacles to inclusion.
If you need additional support or accommodation during the application process, please don’t hesitate to let us know.