As a Senior Ruby Developer at FindHotel, you will help to develop and improve our high-performance website FindHotel, scaling up web traffic from 2M+ visitors to 10M by the end of the year.
What you tell your friends you do
"I am a great Ruby developer who can make run code safely yet fast as lightning!"
What you could really be doing
- Building a high-performance website, helping scale up web traffic from 2M+ visitors to 10M by the end of the year;
- Contribute to our state or art search ad system that creates millions or Google and Bing ads
- Developing our own APIs and deploy them as independent services;
- Integrating our product with internal tools and APIs (e.g. event tracking, A/B testing) built either by us or other squads at FindHotel;
- Building the right suite of monitoring and alerting system, in order to have both the helicopter view and the magnifying glass at hand whenever needed;
- Improving the code base, architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality of our product, in order to deliver a great experience to each and every one of our users.
How will you be doing this?
- You are an experienced Ruby developer in a diverse team of talented experts, and you enjoy working on a product delivering quality code while meeting ambitious deadlines;
- You choose the right tools for whatever job will be thrown at you. We're always open to re-evaluating choices that were made in the past: there is always a budget for good ideas;
- You understand speed is a feature: you love benchmarking and experimenting with different technologies to figure out new ways of improving your code over time.
What we worked on last quarter
- Laying the groundwork for a modern adaptive web application, based on React and Redux frontend which communicates with a decoupled Ruby On Rails backend.
- We built a scalable infrastructure in the cloud, based on AWS, Docker, and Continuous Deployment, that serves on average 11M+ requests per day.
What a day in the office might look like
In the morning, after the daily stand-up, you pair program with a fellow developer to improve the performance of an API call which is not as fast as it could be. After lunch, you provide some feedback on the quality of a couple PRs from your teammates. Then you implement a new feature from the backlog or tackle an annoying technical debt issue that you've been keeping an eye on for a while.
Why join now?
- We have successfully built the foundation of a great product, which will evolve in time and compete with the big players of the travel industry. By joining the team now, you will have the chance to have a strong impact on how we grow our tech stacks and the way approach work.
- We are looking to grow several of our teams. This is the perfect time to become part of the team working on the core behind our product and our user acquisition, tackling exciting challenges around scalability and performance.
- We are a company that is growing fast, hiring talent across many different areas of expertise (development, data science, data analysis, marketing, UX). Each team collaborates with the others on a lot of different tasks, making every day the day when you learn something new.
- You will have fun writing code for existing and new applications, integrating them with internal and external systems, with room to explore new technologies and architectures!
What we're looking for
- 7+ years of professional experience in web/application development, of which at least 3+ years with Ruby.
- A strong background in backend development
- A solid understanding of the whole life cycle of (web) applications including testing, deploying, monitoring
- Experience with development and integration of SQL databases, ETL, message queues, REST APIs, third party integrations
- Great understanding of performance optimization techniques
- Bonus points if you have a DevOps attitude and experience working with with Docker and AWS
- Bonus points if you are proficient with other programming languages (e.g. Go/Elixir/Python)
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team within a profitable company with a startup mindset
- An agile environment where communication and initiative is valued and cherished
- Many chances to develop yourself, including access to courses and conferences
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short, democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment at a great office in the city centre of Amsterdam
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you. Please send us your resume and a short paragraph introducing yourself and why you'd like to be a part of our team!