When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London in 2004 and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. In 2013 Deliveroo was launched. Fast forward to 2020 and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
And we're just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Deliveroo came top in the FT's' list of Europe's fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte's 'UK Top 50' two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The UI Infrastructure team is part of the Content, Research and Design group at Deliveroo. The team aims to improve the quality and development speed of UI products by building design systems, guidelines and tools to support designers and engineers. As a Senior Product Designer in the UI Infrastructure team, you will be accountable for the quality and the utility of our design resources and processes.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Define standards : Work closely with design teams in defining, designing and evolving high-level design patterns, UI kits, guidelines, and custom tooling. Balance product needs and technical feasibility to build a scalable, usable system.
- Communicate: Ensure that everyone is equipped to adopt design systems as they grow and evolve. Proactively communicating changes and updates, gathering feedback to adjust the system, and unblocking designers as they run into issues.
- Drive excellence : Championing consistency, a high degree of UI craft, and the inclusion of illustration and animation in our products. Scheduling and facilitating regular meetings for planning and critique of design work.
- Assist with technical implementation : Work closely with UI engineers who build and maintain design systems in code.
What you might work on:
UI infrastructure touches every product at Deliveroo. You’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Our Rider apps.
- Products for our Restaurants.
- Our suite of Consumer products.
- Internal Tools to help us provide better customer service.
This role is for you if you:
- Have a well trained eye for great visual design execution. You care about getting things right - one pixel off is a big deal.
- Are fantastic at communicating your thinking and design decisions.
- Enjoy rallying people around shared goals and fostering mindset changes with teams.
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!).
- Have a good sense of humour!
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
- Experience in designing and deploying design systems at scale.
- Deep knowledge of platform-specific patterns (e.g. iOS Human interface guidelines, Android Material guidelines).
- Working knowledge of front-end technologies on web, iOS, and Android.
- A broad range of skills covering the design process end to end: interaction design, visual design and prototyping.
- Experience working in high-growth product companies with an international footprint.
- At least 3 years experience in an individual contributor role on a product design team.
Life at Deliveroo:
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity:
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.