Our mission is to help software businesses succeed - enabling them to focus on creating products the world loves. Hundreds of developers and software companies rely on our checkout, payments and licensing solution to sell their products globally, as well as using our powerful analytics and marketing tools to understand and grow their businesses.
We’re one of the fastest growing software companies in the UK. Our revenue tripled last year and in the last 6 months our team has doubled to over 30 people in our shiny new HQ near London Bridge. We’ve received over $5m in funding from BGF Ventures and Kindred Capital, and are proud to be one of Tech City’s Upscale 2017 rising stars.
About the role
Our PHP software department is split into two teams, currently focusing on performance improvements ahead of Black Friday (normally backend order processing) and rebuilding our core checkout as a standalone alone service (100% new code with lots of R&D to make the best technology choices). Teams are fairly static to give every member the chance to become a high performer.
What you will do
- Work on high traffic APIs used by hundreds of active vendors
- Work on high traffic public-facing web application used by hundreds of thousands of customers a month
- Work on high performance background workers for consuming queues
- Work collaboratively to design API specifications
- Practise DevOps, you’re responsible for getting your code to production and supporting it
- Use the latest cloud services available to run your code
- Write performant and well tested code
- Build and iterate on our core products using data driven decisions
- Help design a stable platform to support phenomenal growth
- Participate in recruitment process: CV reviews, interviews, reviewing technical ability and cultural fit
- Be a resource for less senior Engineers to provide mentoring and coaching
- Play a part in an agile team - participate in stand-ups, sprint planning & retrospectives
- Competent commercial experience developing applications or other software platforms
- A strong understanding of the development process from design through to deployment and maintenance and what that means for day-to-day development
- Modern OOP PHP framework
- Building RESTful APis/working with PHP microservices
- Unit and behavioural testing
- Version control systems (preferably Git)
- Exposure to another language, e.g. Ruby, Java, Obj-C, C#
- Previous exposure to JIRA
- Exposure to cloud providers (preferably AWS)
Things you will learn on the job
- Laravel 4 and Lumen (Laravel 5-based)
- AWS suite - SQS, EC2, ECS+ECR, CloudFormation, S3, RDS, Cloudwatch
- Basic UNIX system skills
- Docker containers and micro-service architecture
- Queueing for removing slower tasks from a web request
What’s in it for you?
- Share options - everyone at Paddle is an owner in the business
- Excellent exposure to management, transparent company performance, input into company direction, ideas and growth
- The best possible equipment - whatever you need to increase your productivity
- We care about results, not face time - if you need some time to work from home and can maintain efficiency then that’s cool with us
- A close team with frequent team outings (food, drink, sports etc.)
- The opportunity to be part of a fast growing business, loved by an international base of clients
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.