The Kafka Platform team is seeking an experienced DevOps-focused senior software engineer to join a team that drives maintaining, growing, scaling, and automating aspects of New Relic’s Kafka and Zookeeper infrastructure. If you are comfortable and experienced in working with large distributed data systems and have a particular interest in effective patterns and practices for automating their care and maintenance activities, let chat! This team is currently comprised of a mix of both Software Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers, so if you’re interested in contributing and growing at that intersection, this would be a phenomenal role for you. We are also on the journey of migration to the cloud, starting with AWS/MSK and eventually be supporting a multi-cloud environment. Any experience in cloud operational or development aspects with systems at scale would be a bonus.
New Relic's engineering culture emphasizes team autonomy, which means that each team chooses how they do their work and has a say in which projects they work on. It also means that our teams are responsible for their own operational tooling and on-call rotation. We strive to reduce dependencies between teams so that we can work at an optimal velocity without blocking others.
What You’ll Do
- Use your experience with ops automation and informed opinions about what works and what doesn’t for a given situation to define the path forward for major projects.
- Engage with architects, team leads, and team members to introduce new patterns for using our shared Kafka infrastructure in ways that increase the efficiency and reliability of our shared platform.
- Use your DevOps savvy to operate a large scale Kafka cluster that is the foundation of New Relic's data pipeline.
- Maintain and improve the internal Kafka client libraries used by multiple teams at New Relic to add better monitoring and resiliency features.
- Contribute to our automation framework that provision repeatable infrastructure and clusters, helping us scale to handle rapid growth and expand into the public cloud.
- 4+ years of proven experience writing software in Java, Python, Go, or Scala.
- Experience with and passion for DevOps projects and the operational automation of very large, high-throughput systems.
- Experience using and operating Kafka, Zookeeper, or similar distributed systems with high-availability and high-throughput requirements in a production environment.
- Experience working in Linux systems.
- Experience working with Kubernetes.
- Familiar with writing Ansible playbooks.
- Familiar with Terraform.
- Familiarity with CoreOS, AWS tech stack (MSK, EC2, S3, etc), and the tools and patterns used to handle repeatable infrastructure at scale.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes Operator pattern.
- Expertise in a scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby, shell scripts)
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position is in our Barcelona office, which was established in October 2014 with our acquisition of Ducksboard, a privately held startup. We provide challenging work, opportunities to learn, high-quality teammates, a standard-setting product, and a company on the move. We offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Equity compensation plan.
- Performance reviews twice a year.
- Work-life balance and flexible schedule.
- Amazing and fun work environment.
- Private health insurance for you and your family, including dental coverage.
- Retirement fund and Life insurance.
- English and Spanish language classes.
- Office located in the center of Barcelona, very close to public transportation.
- We provide ergonomic furniture (chairs, desks) to keep you healthy and comfy.
- Fresh fruits, snacks, and beverages.
- We support technical meetups, both local and international.
- We help with relocation.
We are passionate about data visualizations in real time, APIs, intuitive UX, and beautiful design. We have no dogma but do whatever makes sense to deliver state of the art products.