Birdie is a pioneer in social innovation. Our vision is to build a society in which we all age with confidence. With a rapidly growing ageing population, overcrowded care homes and social care services under water, we’re facing a social crisis. We ’re on a mission to reinvent care so that older generations can live longer, healthier and happier in their own homes, surrounded by their families and their communities. We use digital products, cutting-edge home connected devices and AI to empower the care community to deliver better, preventative care
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of 65 socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and was in the 2020 Business Cloud Top 50 Start Up's list.
We are building the organisation of the future that will not only improve the lives of millions of older adults but also of our team members, our communities and will protect the environment. We demonstrate our values in everything we do. We care; we succeed together; we grow individually and strive for excellence; we are smart, brave and ambitious; and we nurture fun and a little quirkiness.
We strongly believe that data holds the key to unlock innovation in social care. It is the foundation of how we learn as a company as well as how we enable our customers to improve their services. Our applications and services generate a wealth of rich data - it is essential that we’re able to process, analyse & deliver as much of it as possible to improve the lives of older adults.
You will build our next-generation data platform enabling Birdie services to exchange data in real-time - allowing product squads to quickly develop features building on information captured by other services. Your efforts will also give product managers and designers the ability to analyse and improve how users interact with Birdie products.
You’ll be working directly with the infrastructure team and closely with all product squads to make sure that the right data is available at the right time to solve real customer problems.
How you will contribute
Your objectives when joining will be to
Implement a new data architecture using the right technologies to solve today’s problems as well as the problems Birdie will face over the next 18 months
- Birdie’s data footprint doubles every quarter so we need to use scalable technologies to ensure data remains readily accessible for our customers as well as Birdie employees.
- Our product architecture is becoming increasingly decentralised - it’s crucial that product services are able to reliably share datasets amongst each other in real time.
Build data infrastructure, tools & documentation - enabling product squads to
- Dramatically reduce time taken to source, process, model and publish datasets.
- Improve the accuracy, reliability & re-usability of datasets.
We’d love to hear from you if
- You have at least 3 years of experience working in a data engineering role supporting customer-facing processes and infrastructure.
- You are passionate about enabling others with tools and documentation - careful not to become a single point of failure.
- You are a technical leader - highly curious about new technology with a clear ability to rapidly learn and understand the pros and cons of new tools.
- You have excellent communication skills- capable of explaining technical problems & solutions in clear, concise terms understandable to non-technical audiences.
- You are quality focused - evangelises the importance of data quality, coaches teams to use best practices improving data reliability and accuracy.
- You are not afraid to challenge - will always speak up on behalf of the right solution, even if it’s against group consensus.
- You are outcome-focused- prioritises delivering value above having the ‘perfect’ solution.
- You care deeply about data privacy and security.
You should know these things like the back of your hand
- Apache Kafka, Kafka Connect and Debezium.
- Cloud data warehousing (at least one of BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift).
- Data lake query engines (at least one of Drill, Athena, Presto, Hive, Spark).
- Relational and non-relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, Redis, DynamoDB, Cassandra).
- Kubernetes and Helm.
- AWS cloud computing platform.
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you meet the majority of these competencies.
People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team's happiness, wellbeing and growth
Competitive salary up to £75k+ - dependent on skills, experience and ambition; we provide discretionary share options
With Covid-19, we have decided to be a fully distributed team with Birdees working across the globe. As long as you're +-3h from GMT, you can work from anywhere you want. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers. If you want to come to the office, you're most welcome of course!
Growth is key. You'll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, trainings and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays) + Christmas eve day off
⚕️ Private health insurance
Private health insurance with Vitality that covers many physical and mental health costs
☀️ Gym and wellbeing memberships
Gym membership and numerous other wellbeing perks and discounts via Vitality
Cycle to work scheme
Birdie will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
Highly favourable parental leave policy for any new parent (we believe we must address the gender gap pay but fostering equal parental leave policies regardless of gender)
Pension employer contribution
Birdie contributes to your pension
⛷ Frequent Company Socials, Trips, And Meals
We organize many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organization caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The Birdie Way to learn more.
We encourage applications from people of all genders, races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, and sexual orientations. We strive to reduce unconscious bias throughout our hiring process.