We’re looking for GO Engineers to help us build the products needed to transform a million lives. We are making high quality financial coaching, affordable and accessible to employees everywhere. This is an ideal opportunity for a passionate technologist who wants to further their career and make a positive societal impact.
About Octopus MoneyCoach
Octopus MoneyCoach is a financial planning and coaching service that helps individuals to plan and improve their future finances. We’ve developed a team of financial coaches, and powerful financial planning software that makes it easy and affordable to get help with your finances.
Working with some of the top employers in the UK, in the last year our customer numbers have grown 350%. We provide financial coaching to the employees of household names like Sony, Moneysupermarket and Octopus Energy. With the Octopus Group backing us, we’re now poised to expand the service and team rapidly. The role and opportunity
We are rebuilding and rethinking our platform to allow us to reach our growth targets over the next few years. The existing AWS/MySQL/PHP/Go/React solution has served us well but we are now rebuilding our back end solely in Golang to prepare for the high growth stage.
We are looking for pragmatists who can work with the existing platform and back end team of 3, collaborating closely with the VP Engineering, product team and wider colleagues to build a solution for the future.
The role has the potential to evolve into a Tech Lead for the right candidate as the team grows. Day to day you will be:
- Writing, testing and deploying great software
- Collaborating with the VPE and senior engineers on deciding future technologies and processes
- Keeping our legacy systems working while we build for the future
- Conducting code reviews for more junior colleagues
- Working in an Agile team
- Building relationships with key internal stakeholders in product and service delivery
- A genuine desire to help people - We are a mission-driven business, so it’s important that you can demonstrate a strong desire to help people and improve their lives.
- Collaborative and a great team player - We are building a great team of top performers, and you’ll need to work with others from across the business to understand problems, and deliver great solutions.
- Problem solver at heart with an analytical mindset - You should be someone who gets excited by complex problems and can find creative ways to solve them no matter what your level of knowledge and experience with the subject matter.
- Excellent technical knowledge - As a Senior Engineer you should be an expert in at least one aspect of software development and skilled in other areas. You have learned that delivering great software takes a team and has plenty of pitfalls to avoid.
- 6+ years experience as a software engineer working on production systems in a commercial environment
- At least 1+ year commercial experience using Golang
- Polyglot Developer (expert in at least one of Go/C/C++ or similar )
- Knowledge working with DDD based architectures
- Experience working in a Scrum team
- Tools and best practices expected of a senior engineer
Nice to have (but not essential)
- Computer Science degree or similar
- Experience working in a startup/scale environment
- Option of Mondays and Fridays remote
- Recruiter call
- Video call with VP
- Tech interview
- Founder interview