As a Senior Ruby Developer at FindHotel, you will help to develop and improve our high-performance website FindHotel, scaling up web traffic from 2M+ visitors to 10M by the end of the year.
What you tell your friends you do
"I am a great Ruby developer who can make code run safely yet fast as lightning!"
What you will really be doing
- Building a high-performance website, helping scale up web traffic from 2M+ visitors to 10M by the end of the year;
- Developing our own APIs and deploy them as independent services;
- Integrating our product with internal tools and APIs (e.g. event tracking, A/B testing) built either by us or other squads at FindHotel;
- Building the right suite of monitoring and alerting system, in order to have both the helicopter view and the magnifying glass at hand whenever needed;
- Improving the code base, architecture, infrastructure, and overall quality of our product, in order to deliver a great experience to each and every one of our users.
How will you be doing this?
- You are an experienced Ruby developer in a diverse team of talented experts, and you enjoy working on a product delivering quality code while meeting ambitious deadlines;
- You choose the right tools for whatever job will be thrown at you. We're always open to re-evaluating choices that were made in the past: there is always a budget for good ideas;
- You understand speed is a feature: you love benchmarking and experimenting with different technologies to figure out new ways of improving your code over time.
What we worked on last quarter
- Laying the groundwork for a modern adaptive web application, based on React and Redux frontend which communicates with a decoupled Ruby On Rails backend.
- We built a scalable infrastructure in the cloud, based on AWS, Docker, and Continuous Deployment, that serves on average 11M+ requests per day.
What a day in the office might look like
In the morning, after the daily stand-up, you pair program with a fellow developer to improve the performance of an API call which is not as fast as it could be. After lunch, you provide some feedback on the quality of a couple PRs from your teammates. Then you implement a new feature from the backlog or tackle an annoying technical debt issue that you've been keeping an eye on for a while.
You will be working in the Product Squad with co-developers Luca & Fernando (Backend), Jop, Suzana & Ali (Frontend). Katia (UX designer) will help us shape the product, transforming the input from Omer & Orhan (Data Analysts) into beautiful and usable designs. Sam (Product Owner) will prioritize the roadmap and a QA Engineer will make sure we deliver high-quality software to our users.
Why join now?
- We have successfully built the foundation of a great product, which will evolve in time and compete with the big players of the travel industry. By joining the team now, you will have the chance to have a strong impact on how we grow our tech stacks and the way approach work.
- We are looking to grow traffic from 2M monthly visitors to 10M+ by the end of 2017. This is the perfect time to become part of the team working on the core behind our product, tackling exciting challenges around scalability and performance.
- We are a company that is growing fast, hiring talent across many different areas of expertise (development, data science, data analysis, marketing, UX). Each team collaborates with the others on a lot of different tasks, making every day the day when you learn something new.
- You will have fun writing code for existing and new applications, integrating them with internal and external systems, with room to explore new technologies and architectures!
What we're looking for
- 7+ years of professional experience in web development, of which at least 3+ years with Ruby.
- A strong background in backend development and good understanding of the web development life cycle
- Experience with development and integration of REST APIs, including testing and deployment
- Great understanding of performance optimization techniques
- Previous experience working remotely
- Bonus points if you have a DevOps attitude and experience working with with Docker and AWS
- Bonus points if you are proficient with other programming languages (e.g. Go/Elixir/Python)
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team within a profitable company with a startup mindset
- An agile environment where communication and initiative is valued and cherished
- Many chances to develop yourself, including access to courses and conferences
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short, democratic decision paths
- A remote position with occasional travel to the office in Amsterdam
Sound like somewhere you'd thrive? We'd love to hear from you. Please send us your resume and a short paragraph introducing yourself and why you'd like to be a part of our team!