Commitment & contract: up to 2 years, collaboration contract
Location: Center for Materials Interfaces (CMI) - Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera, Italy.
WHO WE ARE
At IIT we work enthusiastically to develop human-centered Science and Technology to tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges of our times and transfer these technologies to the production system and society. Our Genoa headquarter is strictly inter-connected with our 11 centres around Italy and two outer-stations based in the US for a truly interdisciplinary experience.
You’d be working in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary group, where physicists, chemists, biologists, material scientists and geologists collaborate, each with their own expertise, to carry out common research.
The Electron Crystallography Research Line is coordinated by Dr. Mauro Gemmi, who has extensive experience in crystallography, transmission electron microscopy and electron diffraction. He is one of the pioneers of the application of electron diffraction to structure solution of unknown crystal structures.
The research focuses on the crystallization and structure solution of protein nanocrystals using 3D electron diffraction methods.
Within the team, your main responsibilities will be:
- Crystallize proteins crystals;
- Develop new sample preparation methods for cryo-EM on protein nanocrystals;
- Use 3D electron diffraction for the structure determination of proteins.
WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU SHINE
- A PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or in an equivalent field;
- Documented experience on protein crystallization;
- Knowledge of protein crystallography;
- The ability to properly report, organize and publish research data;
- Good publication track record;
- Documented experience in coaching junior scientists;
- Good command in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of transmission electron microscopy and 3D electron diffraction is a plus but it is not strictly necessary;
- Knowledge of x-ray crystallography of proteins is a plus;
- Knowledge of programming languages;
- Good communication skills;
- Strong problem solving attitude;
- High motivation to learn;
- Spirit of innovation and creativity;
- Good in time and priority management;
- Ability to work in a challenging and international environment;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary package for international standards;
- Private health care coverage;
- Wide range of staff discounts;
WHAT’S IN FOR YOU?
- An equal, inclusive and multicultural environment ready to welcome you with open arms. Discrimination is a big NO for us!
- We like contamination and encourage you to mingle and discover what other people are up to in our labs!
- If paperwork is not your piece of cake, we got you! There’s a specialized team working to help you with that, especially during your relocation!
- If you are a startupper or a business-minded person, you will find some exceptionally gifted professionals ready to nurture and guide your attitude and aspirations.
- If you want your work to have a real impact, in IIT you will find an innovative and stimulating culture that drives our mission to contribute to the improvement and well-being of society!
- We stick to our values! Integrity, courage, societal responsibility and inclusivity are the values we believe in! They define us and our actions in our everyday life. They guide us to accomplish IIT mission!
If you feel this tickles your appetite for change, do not hesitate and apply!