Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs - our financial wellbeing and our planet's future - are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that's in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
Octopus Renewables sources, invests in and actively manages a range of utility scale renewable energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base of c£3.5bn.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, as well as growing to become a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of renewable energy assets valued at roughly than £3.5 billion. The operational portfolio includes over 250 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
Having originated, invested and managed assets in the renewable energy sector for over a decade, our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured for scale and long-term ownership of energy assets.
About the role:
The role is in Octopus Renewables Investment Team, originating, evaluating and executing new investment opportunities. We are expanding the team as we accelerate our pace of new investments.
We are looking for someone to lead and oversee deals across solar and wind technologies. Senior IMs / Directors in the team are accountable for deals and provide oversight. For all but the largest deals, Directors play a support role, coaching more junior team members who are encouraged to act as deal leads as much as possible. This structure offers considerable leverage and continued growth opportunities for the right candidate.
In line with their language skills and network, the candidate would be expected to lead 'local' origination in France / Germany. Responsibilities may include leadership for other select markets as well as shared responsibility with the rest of the team for pan-European origination.
The right candidate will be keen to coach and develop junior members of the team and may be required to take on people management responsibilities.
- Fluent oral and written French or German
- A strong team player with the confidence to exercise judgement appropriately, engaging with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
- Transaction experience in Renewables / Infrastructure / Energy sector from working at a fund manager, investment bank, project finance lender, industrial or in transactions advisory.
- Prior equity lead experience is a plus, however the right candidate with the aptitude and intention to move from debt to equity could nonetheless have the right impact day 1 by taking on debt financing oversight within the team, while building their experience in equity.
- Strong analytical and Excel financial modelling skills. A strong understanding of financial valuation theories coupled with core accounting and tax skills and an ability to read financial statements confidently.
- Strong commercial mindset, able to own investment decision making and understand the impact on potential investments.
- An ability to understand risks, reach a balanced appraisal of probability and impact, and build workable risk mitigation strategies.
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- A self-starter with tenacity, initiative and a willingness to commit to deliver the required results.
- An ability to focus on the ultimate customer (the investors who trust us with their money) in all aspects of the role is essential.
- Ability to communicate with and influence a broad range of individuals, ranging from team members, project developers, landowners, project finance teams, lawyers, technical advisors, policymakers, the Octopus Investment Committee members and potential investors. Indications of an aptitude to communicate effectively and tailor the communications to the needs of the recipient will be important.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.