SME Capital is an online alternative lending platform which enables profitable and established SMEs to raise long-term strategic debt directly from institutional investors. We are helping businesses access previously unattainable finance in a more streamlined and efficient way by utilising our technology and financial expertise. If you have the ambition to make a big impact in a rapidly growing design and tech team then we are the company for you.
Our sophisticated platform has been designed to simplify the traditional lending process while enabling collaboration between all parties. Borrowers, their advisors and institutional investors each have a tailored experience with full visibility of the transaction at every stage.
We are a rapidly expanding company – the size of our team has almost doubled to 20 people since September and as we enter the next stage of growth we are looking to further improve our expert team to help develop our continuously evolving platform.
Our Tech Team
We are a team of 6 developers, designers and project managers who are passionate about building a game changing fintech platform and we are hoping to double the size of this team within the next 6 months. You will be a part of a friendly, highly collaborative and expert team who work closely with the business team to deliver the right product for our customers. Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to our values.
Our Tech Stack
Our front-end primarily uses Vue JS, along with utility libraries such as Underscore.js and is in the process of replacing the legacy jQuery code. The CSS is built out from LESS using a centralised style guide. The back-end uses Django and Django Rest Framework as well as Fabric and Gulp as our main deployment frameworks. With regards to our ‘environment’, we are gradually moving to Docker, so any experience with virtualised environments would be a plus. Our design process includes lean ux methodologies, prototyping and a lot of time in Sketch.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Backend Developer to join our team. You must be a team player who is able to bring valuable experience and knowledge to help us continue to develop and build this next generation platform. The team is looking for a proactive, inquisitive problem solver who is self-motivated and always eager to adapt to the latest technology and use it to enhance the product.
You will have the following key responsibilities:
- Working with all other development team roles to iteratively develop:
- The Product Increment
- Models required for the properly controlled development of the solution
- Models and documents as required for the purpose of supporting the Deployed Solution in live use
- Turning requirements into tasks and providing estimates against those tasks
- Taking part in the design of the system from an architectural perspective
- Writing code to a high standard, with supporting tests and documentation
- Demonstrating your code/work to other developers in code reviews and also reviewing the work of other developers
- Proactively helping your team-mates when you are working on co-dependent features
- Collaborating with the QA team members to ensure the delivered products are fit for purpose
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND REQUIREMENTS
You must be able to demonstrate the following skills/competencies:
- At least 4 years of relevant web development experience
- A degree in computer science or a similar field, or additional relevant work experience
- Excellent knowledge of Python, Django framework, and Django Rest Framework
- Experience of using relational database like postgres/mysql
- Experience of using Git with a branching workflow (e.g. like git-flow)
- Comfortable using a flavour of Linux and also the command line terminal
Commercial & Technical skills:
- Able to mentor junior members and give technical advice and direction
- A track record of solving problems in a commercial environment
- Excellent communication, both verbal and written
- Ability to work cross-functionally in a highly collaborative environment
- Knowledgeable and able to communicate your ideas, but also patient and easy going
- Entrepreneurial spirit, willing to perform a variety of different roles and possesses a can-do attitude.
- Keen interest in the development community and keen to share with the team (new
- python libs/releases, or different tech)
- A challenging and innovative strategic thinker
- Pragmatic and results oriented, able to get things done on time
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process and comfortable with: Scrum, Unit Testing, Code Reviews, etc.
- Know about docker, vagrant or running linux in a virtualized environment
- Knowledge of and experience in the landing and credit space is beneficial