MEDICAL LEAD, UK (DIRECTOR)
About Global Blood Therapeutics:
Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT) is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and delivery of life-changing treatments that provide hope to underserved patient communities. Founded in 2011, GBT is delivering on its goal to transform the treatment and care of sickle cell disease (SCD), a lifelong, devastating inherited blood disorder. The company has introduced Oxbryta® (voxelotor), the first FDA-approved treatment that directly inhibits sickle hemoglobin polymerization, an underlying cause of SCD. GBT is also advancing its pipeline program in SCD with inclacumab, a p-selectin inhibitor in development to address pain crises associated with the disease. In addition, GBT's drug discovery teams are working on new targets to develop the next generation of treatments for SCD. We are currently expanding our geographic footprint to Europe. To learn more, please visit www.gbt.com and follow the company on Twitter @GBT_news.
This London-based position will be a pro-active medical affairs contributor and member for the UK Leadership Team, providing scientific expertise. This position will partner with the General Manager and the Director Market Access to deliver launch activities by providing medical insights, develop HCP engagement, support an Early Access Program as well as data generation activities, and lead across functions to drive Medical communication, information, and training initiatives.
The position reports direct line to the Head of Medical Affairs Europe, and dotted line to the General Manager UK.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Being a member of the European Medical Affairs Team, which is responsible for all Medical Affairs aspects within GBT Europe
- Being a member of the UK Leadership Team, actively contribute to the success of the UK country objectives
- Develop and implement local medical initiatives to fulfil unmet patient need and build on external scientific interest (e.g. compassionate use programs or investigator-initiated trials)
- Actively supports the country organization to ensure the scientific and medical value of GBT's products is aligned to company strategy
- Brand Team: Provides input into development of local materials and is accountable for medical approval of all marketing and sales strategies and programs to ensure the highest degree of medical and ethical standards
- Works closely with local, regional and global market access colleagues on strong health economic dossiers that will be tested extensively with medical experts and national leaders who may also have to represent it to reimbursement authorities and provides medical expertise to these dossiers
HCP (health care provider) and patient advocacy outreach
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with HCPs, drives engagement of HCPs, professional societies and other key customers
- Fosters the establishment and maintenance of local scientific advisory boards, round tables, expert meetings and assists in advocacy development
- Works with the Sr. Director Government Affairs and Patient Advocacy Europe to establish and maintain the relationship with relevant patient advocacy organizations
Clinical trial / IST support
- Reviews and supports local clinical programs. Feedback to ensure a strategic approach to such programs, and the development of clinical data to support the appropriate use of the Company's products
- Works with the Head of Europe Medical Affairs and local KOLs in the strategic alignment / approval and management of ISTs in the local country
Scientific expertise and Leadership
- Provides professional medical advice on all GBT products relevant in the interest of the overall business
- Remains informed of current developments within pertinent medical and scientific communities through familiarity with current literature, attendance at meetings, conventions, professional associations, etc.
- Supports and/or conducts scientific training program as part of the personnel training in accordance with the European training
- Continuously expands medical and scientific knowledge and maintains an awareness of relevant industry and market trends (i.e., competitive, technological, social and economic)
- Leads the MSLs in the country, sets and executes the strategy for the field-based MSL team in alignment with European Medical Affairs Strategy to ensure MSL performance to goals
- Responsible for Scientific Training of his/her MSL team as well as cross functional scientific training support of Sales and Marketing teams as needed
- Manage business practices, policies and general operations for MSLs such as educational and research programs
- Develops guidelines, processes and policies for the medical affairs department in the UK affiliate (ie local MedInfo process, etc) in accordance to local requirements
- The Director Medical Affairs is responsible for country brand compliance with all obligations defined by local laws and regulations and GBT SOPs
- Master's or advanced degree in human medicine, biology, or pharmacy
- 8+ years' relevant experience in Medical Affairs roles with a strong background in pre-launch/launch experience
- Demonstrated ability to implement a medical strategy for commercialized and pre-launch products with the aim of advancing science for the improvement of patient's well-being
- Demonstrated experience in medical support of past NICE processes
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a complex environment, experience in a start-up biotech company is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functions and countries
- Strong drive to reach high standards of science, ethics and ways of collaboration across stakeholders, experience in Hematology or sickle cell disease is a plus
- Good analytical skills as applied to medical, scientific and technical information.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately and effectively evaluate medical/scientific literature
- Start-up and clinical trial experience in UK are a plus
- Fluency in English required, other European language(s) are a plus
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.