Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The following job opportunity is available:
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be joining Open Cosmos’ core team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible for legals, including IP and contracts.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Be responsible for management and oversight of the full range of legal, regulatory and compliance issues faced by a growing business operating on a global stage.
- Take the lead in managing and protecting the company’s valuable intellectual property portfolio.
- Protect the business’ financial interests through effective management of debt recovery procedures.
- Safeguard the business through the effective review of all contracts for supply and purchase entered into by the business.
- Act as the company liaison to external global legal advisors where necessary.
- Have ownership of the legal elements of all internal and external facing company policies and initiatives.
- Have the breadth of experience and flexibility of mind to apply your skills to a wide range of niche topics.
Skills and competencies
- Have at least 2 years experience at a well-established law firm, preferably qualifying into Commercial, Corporate, IP or Regulatory/Compliance departments.
- Previous in-house experience gained through employment or on secondment would be advantageous.
- Be practical and pragmatic in their approach.
- Be able to apply the law to real-world business problems.
- Have a creative and flexible approach.
- Be willing to work on projects across a broad spectrum of complexity.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and priorities but still delivering great work.
- Have a strong attention to detail and be able to work independently
- Have outstanding drafting, communication, negotiation and influencing skills.
- Possess a very high standard of written and oral English.
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Experience from working in or with a SaaS startup
- Existing network and relationships in the space industry, startup community and government
- International experience