GoCardless is on a mission to take the pain out of getting paid, so our customers can focus on what they do best. With the world shifting to a Subscription Economy, GoCardless is powering recurring payments across the globe via our world-first payments network. We’ve cut out the intermediaries by linking together direct debit schemes from around the world to create a simple way of pulling payments directly from customers’ bank accounts.
We process more than $15bn a year, for over 50,000 businesses in more than 30 countries, and we’re growing fast. Our API powers recurring payments for companies like Survey Monkey, Bulb and the Financial Times. It also enables partners including Xero, Quickbooks and Sage to help small businesses to save countless hours spent chasing customers for payments.
We’re approaching ‘Risk’ in Financial Services in a new way.
- We are ready to serve everyone, if we wanted to - we ensure Risk does not constrain the business but empowers it to achieve its goals;
- We automate everything we do - we don’t like inefficiencies nor do we believe that real risk mitigation is achieved by throwing people at the problem; and
- We create the best possible customer experience - we want our customers (both internal and external) to look forward to going through our processes.
The Risk teams are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion. We must ensure that GoCardless adopts, implements and maintains forward-thinking and appropriate processes and controls, often coming across new challenges or issues that require innovative solutions.
You’ll play a key role in building and rolling out the second level control framework at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
You’ll support the Risk Team in ensuring that we design, maintain and undertake a robust and appropriate second level control framework within GoCardless and that we contribute to increase the operational efficiency / security by formulating value-added proposals.
Being keen to increase your knowledge of control methodologies and harmonize the control framework across all locations, you will take a proactive approach - finding and implementing new tools and technologies to drive efficiencies, looking for synergies with other teams, setting or identifying best practices.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Contributing to design the second level control programme by defining relevant controls on all of the company's risk areas (e.g. AML/CTF, fraud, BCP, data privacy, security, outsourcing,...), in collaboration with the managers of the business teams and the other teams from the risk department (Data privacy and security, Compliance Operations, Legal, etc.);
- Planning and carrying out recurring or one-off controls in autonomy and within the agreed timeline;
- Contributing to the improvement of the company’s control framework by formulating value-added proposals to remedy the inefficiencies / failures observed;
- Monitoring the implementation of recommendations arisen from controls;
- Contributing to develop a first class control tool which can be rolled out in every location of the GoCardless group;
- Being proactive in the automation of controls and harmonization of control practices within the Group;
- Participating in the production of indicators or periodic reports (e.g. the annual control report), intended for local General Management or the parent company;
- Being a driving force in the evolution of the company’s control framework by ensuring market intelligence to seek out best practices but also by defining and implementing new controls following changes in regulations, internal procedures, risk mapping, etc.
- Contributing to updating the company's risk register;
- Contributing to the upstream assessment of operational risk within projects related to new products / activities;
- Being the main contact point for the team in charge of the periodic control in a view to helping them get access to the relevant information from the business teams and avoiding unnecessary duplication of requests with the permanent control ;
- Supporting the organisation in the UK and other geographical areas in the implementation of a local second level control framework.
What we're looking for
We’re looking for someone with experience in a regulated financial institution, who is passionate about moving to a fast-paced fintech startup.
We would expect you to be able to significantly contribute to processes through from design to conclusion. You will be comfortable working independently and without close supervision, whilst also being a great collaborator when attacking complex multi-team projects.
This role would suit a candidate who has flourished at Analyst level and is looking for their next challenge.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have worked in the world of regulation - within a risk management, internal control, audit function or consultancy.
- You have a strong knowledge of control methodologies.
- You’ve got superior analytical and synthetical skills and a high level of attention to detail while keeping a high-level vision.
- You have experience in interacting with senior managers / general management.
- You like keeping to deadlines, even when you set them yourself.
- You savour a challenge, don’t get disheartened easily and drive projects through to completion.
- Your organizational, communication and writing skills are first class.
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company.
Bonus points if:
- You’ve got knowledge of the payments space, the key players and networks.
- You have experienced a fast-growth journey (in a company growing 50%+ YoY).
GoCardless embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We offer a varied package of flexible working and benefit policies. From flexible working hours and working from home arrangements, through to enhanced parental leave, pension packages and equity. GoCardless has a very family and work life balance orientated environment. Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds and we embrace diversity – if you’re unsure, please apply.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, everyone at GoCardless has shifted to remote working since mid-March and will continue to work remotely until the end of the year. We are committed to support all employees during this time and continue to monitor the situation closely. Some of the actions we’ve taken to support the wellbeing of our employees as we transitioned to and continue working in a remote set-up are: subsidised home office equipment, remote workstation assessments, and remote wellbeing and social activities to stay in touch.
Find out more about Life at GoCardless: Twitter Instagram LinkedIn