Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used.
Driven by the vision of making space accessible to anyone, we provide simple and affordable space missions using nanosatellite technology. We went from design to delivery of our first nanosatellite qb01 in only four months, followed by its launch and deployment in LEO early April 2017.
The company is currently developing the next generation of satellites and end-to-end services for private and institutional customers to be launched in 2018. Based in the Harwell-Oxford Campus in the UK, we are a young and ambitious team with experience in the aerospace, electronics and software industries. To support our growth and make our vision a reality we are looking for the brightest minds and the best talents in every domain.
The following job opportunity is available:
Description of the position
The successful candidate will be in charge of managing the supply chain at company level, supporting other departments in the delivery of Open Cosmos’ simple-i and simple-o services. You will be responsible of ensuring that the company space mission service’ building blocks are in place, deliver in time with the required quality. You will report directly to the CEO and be a key piece to run successfully the company operations and satisfy our customers.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead the supply chain team (specialised purchasing or procurement managers) and report to the company management team.
- Manage relationships with strategic suppliers including launch service, ground segment, insurance brokers, government agencies, facilities and manufacturing supply chain.
- Identify and negotiate commercial cost reduction opportunities with existing suppliers.
- Make strategic decisions on supply chain aligned with the company’s growth plans, commercial progress and vision
- Set up and maintain company-wide supply chain management tools
- Run and support complex projects in parallel with tight schedules
- Recruit and build the best team to run the the supply chain department
- Prepare and evaluate tenders, RFQ, RFP processes
- Manage projects related to set up of facilities and future international expansion.
- Generate analytics and deliver financial and operations performance analyses for continuous improvement
Skills and competencies
- University degree in a relevant discipline
- 3+ years of supply chain experience in hardware and software-related products in the aerospace industry
- Experience with long lead-time components procurement
- Experience in export control and dual-use classified products
- Exceptional negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Drive to learn and teach
- Lean / bootstrap mentality
- Self-driven attitude with problem-solving mentality
- Experience in space industry
- Experience in satellite constellation project
- Experience in other industries (i.e. military, automotive, etc) is an asset