As urbanization is rising and the air quality is deteriorating, we feel the need to make our cities greener and healthier by offering a sustainable mobility solution. Besides, we offer a new and fun way around town! At felyx, our objective is to create cleaner cities by making this swift door-to-door transportation the new status quo. We are working together as an ambitious team of entrepreneurs, operators, marketers and engineers, and are looking to grow as we scale the business throughout Europe. Do you share our DNA: self-starting, open, social, analytic, driven and with a good sense of humor? Great! Join our ride.
Here's the challenge
In the last twelve months we’ve been able to rapidly grow our fleet and team. Last summer we have launched our operations in Brussels, which marks the start of our international journey. As multiple follow-up expansions are already in the making, felyx is seeking an experienced, motivated and hands-on Head of Engineering to join felyx in its international growth and to become part of the felyx Leadership Team.
You are leading the Tech team and are collaborating with other Heads of departments to run our daily business at the same time. As Head of Engineering at felyx you get the space, opportunity and responsibility to build what we see as backbone of the company: the back-end and front-end of the product that everyone loves, our sustainable e-scooters!
The Engineering team
You will be leading a multidisciplinary team, consisting of fullstack, iOS and Android developers. The team works in Scrum in two week sprints on their multiple applications: an iOS app written in Swift 5, an Android app written in Kotlin and a backoffice app implemented with Go in a microservices setup, using Postgres as the database and VueJS in the frontend, deployed to Kubernetes.
What you’ll be doing
- Leading the team on a daily basis, making sure we deliver quality systems on time that are maintainable, scalable, and are performing well
- Helping developers out by diving into specific issues or by advising them on the way forward
- Fostering a team mindset in which people can grow and make the best of themselves
- Managing the team and making sure timelines and sprint goals are met
- Setting the vision and the quarterly and yearly goals for the team
- Help build the technical vision and explaining it in non-technical terms to all stakeholders
- Be abreast of new developments in the field and adjust the plans accordingly
- Performing code reviews, troubleshooting issues, and writing code yourself every now and then
- Managing the people in the team and setting the stage for hiring and recruitment
- Being part of the Leadership Team to align on company-wide topics from a tech perspective
- Interfacing with third parties to foster good partnerships
- Extending the current system to support international expansion
We truly get excited if you
- Have a proven ability of leading a team, guiding and training fellow developers
- Are a hands-on manager who can take people along with his or her skills and vision on software, while enabling the team to deliver scalable solutions that excite every user
- Have past experience in designing and building large-scale systems with reliability, scalability, and maintainability in mind
- Possess impressive project management skills and get energy from delivering projects successfully and timely based on key business metrics
- Enjoy being a generalist working across the entire stack, front-end and back-end
- Are interested in company-wide topics. What impact does your team have on the rest of the company and how can the team foster an environment focused on cross-functional collaboration?
- Have experience with various forms of automated testing (unit, functional, integration and E2E tests)
- Are experienced with and/or knowledgeable about product ownership and making sure sprint goals and timelines are met
- Master at least two of the following languages: Go, Java, Typescript, Python, Ruby
- Are experienced integrating and working with third party (REST) APIs
- Know your way around Git, Docker, Google Cloud/AWS, Heroku, Redis, Kubernetes, CI & CD tools
- Have strong abstract reasoning skills and an agile and pragmatic mindset
- Are fluent in English, both written and oral