YOUR TYPICAL DAY INCLUDE FOLLOWING TASKS
As the Head of Engineering, you will lead the implementation of new features in a state-of-the-art development team and process. We make use of new technologies and architectures where it makes sense for the business. Our backend is built with PHP for stability and maintenance. Our mobile app is built using the React Native Framework.
This is a strategic role in our company. Your mission is to build a fast, efficient and effective engineering team to enable YAS.life to achieve its ambition to become a leading solution provider to the insurances and help millions of users live an active life.
Therefore, you either come from a full-stack background or you have experience as a DevOps. You have previous experience in leading high-performing development teams in a dynamic environment (Startup or similar setting in a corporation). You also previously released a consumer product to the market.
Key tasks and responsibilities include
- Be the mastermind of our IT-architecture and IT-infrastructure and continually think about how to design scalable products and architectures
- Advise product owners and stakeholders on technical feasibility of their ideas
- Interact with CEO, CPO and business analysts
- Build and manage a team of 7+ developers (on-site and remote)
- Selecting and designing efficient technical solutions that are aligned with strategic business objectives
- Giving initial estimations for feature implementations
- Hands-on support where needed, ranging from helping the team to meet release dates, resolve bugs, investigate live issues
- Designing and guiding the implementation to ensure timely delivery of features
- Improving code quality by reviewing pull requests
- Interviewing and selecting developers, both in-house and freelancers
THE SKILLS YOU NEED
- Proven track-record of building scalable mobile applications
- 7+ years experience in software development
- Experience with OOP in PHP, Git, Unit/Functional/Acceptance Testing, TDD, Docker, AWS, Continuous Integration, RESTful Web Services, OOP Principles [SOLID, DRY, KISS, Design Patterns]
- Passion for high-quality code and efficient development processes, analytic thinking
- Knowledge in agile development methods, especially KANBAN and Jira project management
- High motivation, reliability and independent work style
- Your work as a team player and bring experience in building and managing tech teams (on-site and remote) and you are willing to improve your own skills
- Strong ability to gather and understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Very good English skills. German language skills are a plus
Familiarity with any of these is a plus
- Symfony Framework
- Multitenant applications
- Contributions to open source projects
- Familiarity with the eHealth industry and fitness and sports
OUR OFFER TO YOU
- You will be an integral part of these challenging upcoming projects: new white label-apps that support the insurance industry and provide new digital use cases for thousands of insured persons that use our apps, transition our backend to a microservices architecture that allows us to scale our multi-tenant setup in a maintainable way, improve older parts of the applications’ source code
- This is a permanent leading position within our Engineering team in Berlin.
- We offer you the unique opportunity of shaping, building and developing a digital health startup in its growth phase and to achieve operational excellence.
- We are a company with a purpose: you have an impact on our users' wellbeing, by building a product which helps them to stay active and healthy.
- A healthy and open-minded culture. We get sporty twice a week: practicing Yoga on our roof terrace and joining our running group is a great way to show how active you can be.
- Challenges and room for personal and professional development in a flat hierarchy.
- Being part of an awesome international team in Berlin-Mitte. At this moment we embrace 10 different nationalities!