Kpler is the leading provider of data intelligence for the commodity markets. Our software aggregates data from hundreds of sources including radar and satellite imagery as well as logistics, governmental and shipping databases. By connecting the dots across fragmented information landscapes, we bring our clients - mostly commodities producers, oil and gas companies, trading houses, public utilities and shipping companies, financial institutions and hedge funds - unique, real-time understanding of supply and demand in the commodity markets.
The company has a major presence in 9 locations (Paris, London, Brussels, Dubai, Singapore, Houston and New York, Cape Town, Tokyo). With individuals of various backgrounds, diverse skills and international experiences, being global & inclusive is in our DNA!
We’re seeking an exceptional Head of Engineering to lead our engineering team and work closely with our co-founder and CTO. As the Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for the management of a team of 25 engineers across Development, DevOps and Technical support, helping it scale to 50+ team members in 2021.
Partnering with the Head of Product and your senior technical teams to design and prioritize the roadmap and overseeing topics such as budgeting, staffing, people development, tooling and engineering processes, you will ultimately be responsible for the engagement, the quality and the delivery of those teams!
What you will be doing
Enable and monitor your department’s efficiency and productivity by:
- Preparing and managing the engineering department budget
- Identifying staffing and tooling needs
- Making outsourcing decisions where needed
- Identifying, selecting and managing vendors
- Reporting on overall organizational cost and activities
Build a world-class team with a brilliant engineering culture:
- Own and enhance our engineering brand externally
- Improve the quality and efficiency of our hiring process and take on responsibilities for each hiring process.
- Enhance coaching, learning and knowledge sharing within the tech team ensuring that we have the right frameworks to help our engineers and engineering managers be efficient, learn and grow their career.
Evangelising quality of code and engineering best practices across the organisation by:
- Understanding, analyzing and making recommendations on the advancement of standards and processes to enhance and drive consistency of best practices in the department overall.
- Designing a framework to increase and monitor code quality, implementing metrics, ensuring documentation and knowledge are well communicated.
Ensuring that we are building the right things at the right pace by:
- Working cross functionally with our business leaders, head of product and the senior technical leaders within your team to create and prioritize the engineering roadmap; set organisational goals and priorities aligned with the overall business strategy;
- Building systems and metrics to monitor progress, challenge teams and make trade-offs as appropriate.
- Taking ownership for ensuring that all deployment lands correctly without delays and bugs.
Who we are looking for
- Previous experience working for a high growth fast-paced start-up, where you have been directly involved in growing a team.
- You have successfully lead internationally distributed and multi-disciplinary teams of 30+ people.
- You have a track record of attracting, hiring and retaining top engineering talent and supporting and developing people - both managers and senior individual contributors and you are familiar and fully bought in with the servant leadership mindset.
- Technical background working with Python, Kafka, Go, Scala, Open source technologies and Data pipelines; you are capable of asking relevant questions to the teams and help them improve their architecture.
- You are great at building strong, effective relationships with people from different disciplines.
- You have a scientific and data-centric approach to problems: continuous enhancement and data-driven decisions.
- You are fully bought in remote and flexible work arrangements for engineering teams.
What we offer
- This role is based in Paris or London with an opportunity for partial remote.
- We solve complex technical problems with very cool technology: our market is very specialized and quite complicated! This means we build real algos and there’s some serious software engineering at work here!
- Our growth is exponential: we are 25 devs now, that will double in the next 2 years. We build new features and products everyday! We frequently tackle brand new business areas which means there’s always everything to build and always an interesting problem to sink your teeth into!
- We are still small enough that you can get exposure to our entire tech architecture, be close to the business and the impact you are making and build your career trying out different things!
- We are at the cross-road of software engineering, commodity and finance: this creates an interesting mix. We value the flexibility, collaboration and employee-centric approach that the Tech culture brings but we also value the pragmatism, hard-working and intellectual excellence expectation that often runs in the Finance and Commodity worlds.
- You’ll get to work in a truly global work environment: With offices in 6 countries, we have more than 20 nationalities and speak more than 15 languages.
- We offer competitive compensation & benefits and are looking for feedback and opportunities to improve them everyday!