Come and join us on our mission to make FATMAP the Home of the Outdoors . . .
the place where every adventure begins.
We are evolving and expanding our data science function as a strategic contributor to business and product decisions across the whole company. We are looking for a hands-on data science leader to deliver the next evolution of our data science capabilities.
About The Adventure
We're in business to help people have better, safer adventures in the mountains. Your role will contribute to this by designing an unrivalled user experience for our mobile and web applications.
FATMAP is the world's only global 3D map built for outdoor adventure, trusted by the World's top adventurers, athletes and mountain guides. We're building the largest community of skiers, hikers, mountain bikers, trail runners and mountaineers around the world and enabling them to plan, experience and share their adventures.
As the Head of Data Science, you'll be joining a very small data team who move fast and work closely together on our mission: to make FATMAP the Home of the Outdoors - the place where every adventure begins. We want to democratise access to adventure and make the experience simple, accessible and shareable.
We're looking for someone who is as passionate about the outdoors as they are about their craft: someone who will be living and breathing the product with deep empathy for the needs of our users, yet able to rapidly design and help build a product to scale our product to support 10x growth over the next year
We're a team of 35 people and life at FATMAP still feels very much like a startup. To be at home here you should be comfortable moving fast in ambiguity, and able to create an organisation and structure to help us scale the business. We have ambitious goals and we're looking for someone who is up to the challenge.
We operate a flexible remote working policy - pandemic permitting. You will be based out of one of our hubs in Chamonix, Berlin, Vilnius or Southern Britain and have the choice to mix working from home with time at the office, but should be no more than 2hrs from one of our hub offices to maximise the opportunity to spend time together as a team.
In our office you'll find skis, muddy boots, full suspension bikes and ice axes instead of ping pong tables and fuzzball. They say there are no friends on a powder day but at FATMAP we hope you'll do a few runs to test the latest app build before you hit the office.
We currently have a very small data science team, with a heavy focus on supporting our product development process. The next stage of evolution for the team is to broaden the scope of the service as the company focuses more on growing our user base and revenues.
Because we are still a relatively small, early-stage company, we need leaders who are still very much hands-on doers as well as leaders, and this role is no exception.
- Service design – Data science service for all key stakeholders in the business, including Product Development, Marketing, Business Operations and Finance. Service elements include data analytics, tools for self-service analysis by stakeholder teams and automation of BI reporting requirements. Managing the cost of service provision against a budget.
- Data infrastructure and architecture – Design coherent and scalable architecture for collecting, storing, and analysing data. Responsible for evolution of the data analysis environment over time to stay ahead of the strategic needs of the business.
- Analytics – Hands-on data analysis work alongside the rest of the team. Needs to be a current data science practitioner.
- Consulting – Working with the rest of the team to advise and support stakeholders in their use of the self-service tools and in data analysis techniques and best practice.
- Leadership – Manage the data science team day to day and support team members in personal development and career progression. Participate in the operations management leadership forum and ensure effective collaboration with other areas of the business. Execute the company strategy and design and evolve the data analytics service around it. Guide the data science team in setting goals and key deliverables in support of the company's top-level strategic goals.
- Experienced data scientist with strong engineering chops. Pragmatic; focussed on delivery and outcomes.
- Willing and able to contribute hands-on to the data analysis, programming, and engineering work of the team.
- Able to create order from uncertainty and comfortable with working in an early-stage company.
- Experienced leader who is a committed advocate for their team and devoted to supporting their success.
- Curiosity about the data science ecosystem.
- Passionate about having adventures in nature and especially in the mountains.
- Good command of the English language, with good written communication skills.
- Ideally experienced in consumer apps / SaaS businesses.
- Comfortable working with a distributed / remote team.
- Statistical analysis
- Data visualisation / BI tools
- Previous experience in Metabase and Mixpanel is a plus
- Knowledge of data warehouse architecture principles
- Data architecture and database design
- Hands-on knowledge in SQL and working in RDBMS, ideally PostgreSQL + PostGIS is a big plus
- Scientific/statistical programming with for e.g. Python, R
- MSc or PhD in the quantitative field e.g. Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Bioinformatics etc.
What We Offer
- 3 inspiring office hubs in Chamonix, Berlin and Vilnius
- Flexible and remote working - working adventure trips are encouraged.
- Really awesome technical setup (laptop, screens, headset etc.) of your choice
- All your outdoor gear at pro pricing
- Unlimited reference and learning materials - for your work and adventures!
- Regular team/company trips to outdoor adventure destinations
- Free use of our Chamonix apartment - 100m from the lift and surrounded by the biggest mountain range in Europe! With a stash of gear including tents, bouldering mats, sleeping bags, harnesses, ropes to borrow for free any time you like.
- New friends to explore with.