Overview of the role: Qdot is a spin-out from the University of Oxford with the vision of enabling cleaner flight. It is developing emission-free hybrid powertrains for applications from heavyweight UAVs through to commercial aircraft. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design & development of integrated PEM fuel cell stacks for aerospace. The role will encompass the stack design, testing & integration within the larger fuel cell system. The successful candidate would be expected to develop existing components/concepts as well innovate new ones. The role will also include liaising with external suppliers/customers.
Application closing date: All applications must be received by 1st January 2023
- Design and development of PEM fuel cell stacks for aerospace applications
- Analytical and numerical modelling of fuel cell stacks
- Experimental testing of novel fuel cell stack designs
- Integration of fuel cell stacks with system balance of plant components
- Design of test facilities for system-level testing of stacks
- Application of relevant design standards
- Liaise with suppliers and subcontractors to ensure delivery of parts to specification in a timely fashion and help develop a supply chain
- Identify and generate innovation, including record of invention maintenance
- Contribute to or lead funding proposals where appropriate
- Manage project work packages through full lifetime maintaining budgetary control, risk management and technical quality to ensure work packages meet their objectives
- Document and report progress to line manager
- Essential hold an undergraduate degree in a STEM subject
- Detailed knowledge in fuel cell stack design
- Good English communication skills. Happy to apply these in presenting work to fellow employees and external partners; writing reports; writing funding applications; presenting at conferences, and leading teams.
- Able to plan and manage own time
- Capable of operating independently
- Able to operate under time pressure in a team environment
- A passion for building sustainable aviation Desirable
- Detailed knowledge in fuel cell system testing
- Experience operating in a start-up environment
- Experience in working with fuel cell systems in excess of 10 kW.
- Experience in experimental testing of prototype components
- Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink, CAD & ANSYS software suites.
- Experience taking a product from TRL 1-6
- Experience developing prototype components and assemblies for aerospace applications
The Qdot experience: Qdot is based on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire. The Campus is home to over 6,000 scientists/engineers and over 200 organisations, working in a range of diverse applications, from biotechnology through to quantum computing. There are several restaurants and cafés on site, as well as amenities such as a gym, post-office, nursery, and dentist. Qdot encourages hybrid working patterns to ensure our employees can maintain a healthy work-life balance. We offer a comprehensive package of benefits, including life insurance, generous pension contributions, a cycle-to-work scheme, coverage of professional membership fees and a discount scheme.