This position will be based at our Berlin Corporate Office (Krausenstr. 38.) with 60% of time travelling either domestically within Germany or to other EU countries.
The Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) – Design and Startup Program Manager reports to the WHS Design Construction and Startup Manager and will be responsible for partnering with the Design, Engineering, Construction, Startup, Launch teams and new site Health & Safety teams as the single thread leader to ensure safe and regulatory compliant facilities and equipment are delivered to our operational teams. They must demonstrate the ability to comprehend and apply technical documents, requirements and solutions and to build trust with the key stakeholders. This team member should be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. They will be required to possess solid safety and relevant environmental and ergonomic knowledge and to demonstrate this expertise when working with Engineering, Design, Construction, Startup and Operations teams.
- Function as a catalyst, communicator, facilitator, researcher and technical thinker to assess and improve current facility and equipment systems designs from a WHS perspective and ensure they are properly implemented during construction and installation.
- Present the high degree of knowledge, ownership and self-direction necessary to encourage innovation in an autonomous technical environment.
Scope and Influence
- Through effective collaboration and the development of positive working relationships, ensure the safe implementation and regulatory compliance of all activities related to the expansion, launch, acquisition, and divestment of sites and equipment systems. Key stakeholders include: Worldwide Engineering and Design, Construction, Start-Up and WHS Operations.
- Through effective collaboration and relationship building with local, state and federal authorities, ensure compliance with all applicable statutes to assure timely and effective start-ups and protect the Amazon brand.
- Be the strong WHS technical voice, during design concept and composite reviews, for specific site types related to new site designs and design revisions to ensure compliance with Amazon standards and regulatory requirements. This includes leading safety technical reviews and risk assessments for all new equipment systems.
- Validate geographically specific real estate standards or World Wide/Geographically specific Building Design Standards are incorporated into the construction/remodeling of a site.
- Conduct site safety, health and environmental commissioning inspections to ensure all applicable regulatory requirements, engineering specifications, and WHS standards and specifications are into construction and start-up execution phases. Create and maintain punch lists items with relevant teams to ensure mitigation is completed to reduce all risk to an acceptable level.
- Escalate significant concerns and lessons learned identified during commissioning inspections and subsequent site visits.
- Create clarity with all stakeholders (identified above) on WHS specifications and requirements, to ensure these are integrated into all aspects of design, construction and start-up of new facilities and equipment systems. This includes design reviews, commissioning assessments, escalations and lessons learned.
- Collect, catalogue and share lessons learned; perform project work related to lessons learned to ensure they are incorporated in future launches as appropriate.
· Educated to degree level.
· Qualified to NEBOSH Certificate level or equivalent with Health and Safety experience, ideally gained in a low margin, high volume environment with warehousing and logistics beneficial.
· Previous responsibilities in safety, environmental or maintenance programs in manufacturing, production, engineering/facilities or service operations.
· Understanding of essential/relevant European legislation.
· Fluent in English and German.
· Flexible approach to work, able to handle own priorities, workload and European travel.
· Credibility and be able to effectively engage and influence other functional leaders and their teams, to build buy-in to EU HS strategies and change processes.
· Proven record of encouraging innovation through an operation.
· Used to operating at all levels of the organization from warehouse floor to board level.
· Good communication and influencing skills – result orientated and tenacious.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Note to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.