Isotropic Systems is seeking world class candidates to join a fast-paced, proven team working on cutting edge technology in a successful startup company that brings significant opportunity for the right candidate.
We are pioneering the introduction of innovative and disruptive low-profile multiple-beam satellite communications terminals for mobile and fixed applications. These highly integrated terminal systems combine elements of new advances in microwave lens optics, phased array antenna technology, and dynamic beam pointing control systems using analog and/or digital signal processing. Our terminal designs operate as fully electronic beam steering systems. Our IP has applications across a wide range of market sectors including: aeronautical, land mobile, maritime, and 5G, providing broadband, multi-beam, two-way communications with dynamic tracking of geostationary and non-geostationary satellites or terrestrial nodes.
Isotropic is seeking an outstanding Director of Terminal Management to build and lead the team and manage the design and implementation of the control, management, and behavior subsystems of its mobile and fixed tracking antenna terminals. The position reports to the Senior Vice President of Engineering. This role will be responsible for all aspects of controlling the satellite antenna terminal with emphasis on multiple beam acquisition, identification, and tracking of two-way satellite links for electronically steered phased arrays (ESA) and hybrid electromechanically steered antenna terminals in mobile or fixed platform environments, including aeronautical, maritime, and land applications.
Areas of particular interest include, but are not limited to, interactions among all control interfaces including power, RF carrier detection, signal processing for controlling beam forming circuits, and modem interfaces. The role will also be responsible for managing the development of terminal power systems, low- and high-level firmware and operating software, actuator and sensor fusion, and onboard computing and low-level control capability. The candidate should have a good understanding of design for manufacturability and cost-effective designs for a wide range of applications from high end aeronautical to low cost consumer broadband terminals.
A strong background in overall communication systems architecture is essential to be able to organize and oversee a multi-disciplinary flow-down of functional subsystem requirements to individual components, software, and circuits. Experience with design, control, calibration, pointing and tracking, and productization of electrically-steered communication terminals is a strong qualifying factor.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in leading a team in the development of sophisticated product-oriented control systems, with strong managerial and technical capability. Experience and background in designing and specifying frameworks and architectures for control systems with sensor-driven feedback of electro-mechanical systems and sensor fusion for combining intermittent (GPS) and continuous (IMU) feedback sources is very important.
The Director of Terminal Management, along with the other Engineering Directors, will be jointly responsible to the SVP Engineering for ensuring that the product vision is realized through excellence in execution such that product lifetime quality metrics, manufacturable cost and performance goals are all met, in programs that are delivered within the project budget and on schedule.
The Director of Terminal Management is expected to bring a high degree of creativity and problem-solving capability to search outside the box for new solutions to questions in the design, control, and operation of a cost-effective Satcom terminal. In addition, technical leadership is expected in the areas of analysis of complex Antenna systems for all-electronic antenna systems and motion-controlled stabilized platforms, and monitoring and maintaining trends of performance across multiple product lines and customer development projects.
Initially the Director of Terminal Management will act as an individual contributor towards the development of the terminal, but will also be required to build and manage the daily activities of a world-class product development team including electrical engineering, embedded systems, control systems engineering, PCB design and layout, firmware development, and software development skillsets in-step with product development activities that dovetail into the overall company objectives.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and report on the daily activities of the Terminal Management team to deliver designs and products on time and on budget
- Build a terminal management team that facilitates scale and growth in line with company objectives
- Design approval for all terminal management software, circuits, and subcomponents
- Deliver technology and products that meet performance, cost and quality metrics
- Manage the design and development of pointing, tracking, power management, control, behavior, and modem integration aspects of the terminal
- Lead development of geolocation and timekeeping processes necessary for acquiring and tracking a satellite from fixed or mobile platform
- Manage the design and implementation of terminal power systems, low- and high-level firmware and operating software, actuator and sensor fusion, and onboard computing and low-level control capability
- Responsible for all design aspects of terminal control and management with emphasis on multiple beam acquisition, identification, and tracking of two-way satellite links in mobile or fixed platform environments
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of analysis, design, and performance of the terminal management algorithms and subsystems within our terminal products
- Support the certification of products under electrical and operational standards
- Manage multiple programs/products simultaneously and able to manage through times of conflicting and dynamic priorities
- Provide effective and efficient design support during the conceptual design, detailed design, integration, and test phases of a product development program, with the goal of achieving on-time and budget completion of assigned tasks
- Prepare and present design and analysis summary material during internal and external design reviews
- Contribute towards Company design procedures and corporate policies
- Other tasks, as assigned from time to time
Skills and/or Experience Needed:
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Electrical, Control Systems, Systems, or related Engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in the fields of Control Systems, Communications Terminal, Systems Engineering, RF engineering, and Engineering Management
- Exceptional leadership ability
- Background in control systems engineering with associated hardware and software development
- Understanding of requirements and process of satellite antenna tracking
- Translation of system requirements into detailed subsystem, software, and component specifications, accounting for the environment in which the product is to operate
- Extensive experience in working with industry standard software and hardware design, integration, testing, and troubleshooting
- Experienced in writing analysis reports and summaries
- Experience with system-level simulation tools such as Matlab or Simulink
- Technically proficient in MS Office products
- Must have substantial problem solving abilities
- Ability to communicate calmly in a well thought out response, verbal and written
- Experience in Avionic component development and release process, including implications of certification processes such as ARINC and DO-160 (Desirable)
- Proficiency with standard scientific computing toolkits, languages, and packages, such as Matlab/Python etc (Preferred)
- Understanding of industry-standard design, modeling, and manufacturing preparation tools (PCB schematic capture/layout, CAD/CAM) and software/firmware development
- Interpersonal skills to effectively work with Isotropic staff internally as well as working effectively with suppliers and customers
- Ability to effectively present information in team meetings and design reviews as needed
- Experience in development of SATCOM terminals (Desirable)
- Ability to travel on request (not expected to exceed 20%).
- This position may be subject to interruptions that may cause a change in immediate priorities and/or work focus.
- May be subjected to occasional extended work hours.
Isotropic Systems offers a highly competitive compensation package (salary and equity), excellent benefits (including paid holidays) and an environment that recognises and rewards your contributions.
Isotropic Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, non-disqualifying disability, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We base all hiring decisions on candidate qualifications and business needs.