Director of Engineering DMLP
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to the third largest e-commerce company in the world.
Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ : BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue.
Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of approximately $80 billion.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel.
Booking.com connects travellers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses.
The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than +28 million total reported listings, and cover +140K destinations in +200 countries worldwide.
Our Data & Machine Learning Platform (DMLP) organization is accountable for providing services that support the data modernization across Booking.com, so that more business value can be extracted out of our data, e.g. more personalization, loyalty and segmentation. Therefore, from production to consumption, we provide an E2E modernized data infrastructure that enables the production and consumption of owned, available and quality data.
Our Foundational Capabilities are built on Data Governance policies to enable reliable data management across Booking.com.
We have just set on this journey, and as Director of Engineering you would be coming in from the ground to define and drive the (technology) strategy to extract more value out of our data.
These would be the type of services under your ownership :
- Data consumption platform including consumption through workflows, machine learning and data warehousing
- Data production platform including governed ingestion into our cloud data platform
- Foundational capabilities such as cloud data storage and data management capabilities
We hire the best and the brightest professionals, and we empower them to innovate, you need to have :
- Technology leadership experience at driving frameworks and foundational services
- Deep technical experience as this is an foundational role in the guts of our platforms
- Technology thought leadership on reliability engineering, operational excellence and quality engineering
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and SOA
- Solid awareness of emerging technology trends that enable a world class developer experience
- Ability to lead a team of top talent in an engineering organization consisting of Frameworks, Middleware, Critical Services, Data Platform, Systems Engineering
People & Function Leadership
- Lead, inspire and motivate your Engineering function through leading by example and defining what success looks like, giving ownership and providing clarity when necessary
- Line manage Senior Managers as well as top technical talent, such as Principals
- Communicate strategy in a compelling manner to multiple teams and relevant stakeholders
- Foster inclusion by holding self and others accountable
- Drive people centric initiatives that enable workforce diversity
- Partner in and outside of our Business unit to lead and shape the people agenda across Booking.com
- Create a learning environment by coaching, maintaining two-way feedback, helping people extract and share personal learnings, and supporting teams to constantly adapt
- Foster the engineering culture; innovate, work as a team and celebrate success
- Build a world class team through nurturing, attracting, and retaining tech talent from around the world
- Empower your teams to do their best work at Booking.com
- Be curious, learn, iterate and shape our culture
Technology, Craft & Delivery Leadership
- Lead, influence and own delivery within your function including department goals
- Partner with other functions and business units to deliver on our strategic agenda
- Maintain focus on the end goal, minimize risk and remove roadblocks for our strategic agenda
- Ensure clear and effective communication at all levels : proactively keep all stakeholders informed of what’s happening, upcoming changes, projects, issues and risks
- Foster mastery in engineering craftsmanship across Booking.com including shaping ways of working
- Own Technology-wide topics and help lead and grow the department
- Embed Agile ways of working and values within the organization
- Identify problems and significantly improve, change or adapt existing methods and techniques drawing from personal experiences and feedback
- Drive a DevOps culture
Technology, Architecture & Product Strategy
- Shape, define and build new services, processes and operational plans in alignment with the needs of the business
- Lead, take ownership and shape the technology strategic objectives and roadmaps
- Be a strategic thought partner and influence stakeholders across the Booking.com and align the strategic direction of your function
- Make decisions in complex and ambiguous situations, and guide others in their decision making by recognizing and challenging assumptions, introducing relevant data and multiple perspectives
- Ensure that the Booking architecture principles and engineering practices are adhered to, and that there is direction and alignment for each product
- Anticipate the need for changes based on context, and set renewed courses of action to engage teams and achieve goals, while striving to make the impact clear and understandable
- Drive innovation in your function
- Own the architecture across your function
- 8+ years of Tech Leadership experience
- Demonstrable experience of building, shaping and leading a cross functional Engineering function or business unit at scale (50+ people)
- Deep understanding of technology, with a proven track record of designing and building data and machine learning platform at scale
- Highly familiar with the current best in class big data technologies such as data warehouses, data lakes, data processing pipelines, machine learning platforms for training, building, testing and deploying ML models.
- Familiarity with at least one public cloud technologies and best ways to leverage them for processing data and ML at scale.
- Proven ability to contribute to system design, architecture, and problem solving conversations. Ability to get deep into technical details when needed
- Able to provide technical direction to the teams (driving tech strategy, making build v buy decisions, prioritising etc.)
- Great collaboration on technology topics; the successful candidate should be able to work with their counterparts in other organisations, including Senior Architects and Fellows
- Demonstrable experience of working in Agile environments and more importantly an Agile culture and ethos
- Demonstrable experience of setting, leading and influencing both the Engineering and Business strategy to the medium and long-term
- Experience with managing and coaching teams of senior tech leaders including building and growing teams
- Independent, pragmatic and proactive work attitude
- Well versed in Engineering Craftsmanship
- Building a DevOps culture
- Be humble and human
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong commercial acumen
- Experience with 3rd party vendor relationships and integrations would be an advantage
Pre- Employment Screening :
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law.
Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.com.
This employer is a corporate member of myGwork - LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals, students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.