Akur8 is a young, dynamic, fast-growing Insurtech startup that is revolutionizing insurance pricing with transparent AI.
Since 2016 our skilled R&D team of Data Scientists, Software Engineers and Actuaries has developed unique AI algorithms that automate the insurance pricing process in an unprecedented way.
Our solution is a SaaS platform that allows insurance companies to model their risks 10 times faster, with a higher predictive power than traditional methods. constituting a major game changer for the insurance industry.
Being international by design, targeting all insurance carriers globally, and focusing on more mature markets for faster expansion, in 2020 we were selected
- as France's Best Insurtech 2020
- in Sønr’s world Top 100 Insurtech companies (no.42)
- in the Top 25 emerging technologies in Oxbow Partners insurtech impact report
- as 9th place overall in the last CodinGame Fall Challenge
To learn more about Akur8, and what we do, click on this video link.
Akur8 is, in all senses of the term, an equal opportunities employer.
With researchers from ENS-INRIA we created new machine learning algorithms based on innovative statistical and optimization techniques.
The creation of these proprietary algorithms is influenced by the strong regulations in force in the insurance pricing sector, demanding - amongst other things - fully transparent models (as well as statistical proof for all of the factors driving these predictions), resulting in intense activity for Akur8.
As a Data Scientist in our R&D team, you’ll contribute to the design of the machine-learning platform to enhance
- Risk Modelling (analysis of the risk attached to individual insurance clients or insurance portfolios)
- Demand Modelling (probability of potential clients to buy our products or renew their contracts)
- Price Optimization (determination of the optimal price for which to sell the insurance product)
Practically you will begin by
- Creating new capabilities on the Akur8 platform to answer clients' needs in terms of modeling capabilities, data or models understanding, data-processing, ...
- Design and implement pragmatic solutions to real insurance pricing problems, and test their robustness on our data
- Reading, understanding and explaining to the team strengths and weaknesses of research papers in ML, algorithmic and optimization
- Face clients to explain the capabilities of Akur8’s pricing platform and train the new users so they can understand our approach and efficiently use the algorithms you developed
- Understand the user needs and help prioritize the new features that will be integrated into the platform
- Implement reliable tests, use continuous integration and exploit at best AWS Cloud capabilities with our back-end engineers.
Your work will involve
- Designing, building, integrating and maintaining efficient, reusable and reliable code
- Take into account the business objectives of the models created (in particular robustness, interpretability and implementation cost), as well as the actual needs of the end users of our solution.
- Involve interaction with end users (Data Scientists & Risk Managers/Actuaries) in order to present our platform and train users
- Rely on a strong understanding of the statistics, machine learning methods and optimization techniques used
We’re keen to speak to applicants that meet the following criteria for a place within our R&D Data Science team
- IMPORTANT/ELIMINATORY A PhD in a quantitative discipline such as Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Probability, Machine Learning, Big Data etc.
- IMPORTANT/ELIMINATORY Must possess an employment status (French or Schengen area nationality or a ‘carte de séjour’) that will enable the successful applicant to work from our Paris office
- Excellent communication skills for interaction with our client’s Data Science & Risk Management teams
- Strong interest in solving practical problems in elegant ways, providing efficient solutions to real-world problems
- Comfortable with Python (NumPy, Pandas, ...) as well as a strong knowledge of an object-oriented programming language (Java, C#...)
- High proficiency in Mathematics (in particular Statistics), Algorithmics (Optimization) & Programming
- Experience with Scikit Learn API and its coding standards as well as with Docker and Terraform can be a plus.
You'll join a highly skilled and motivated team that is willing to share their knowledge and passion for advanced data science, computer science, and actuarial sciences. In addition to this, we provide
- Competitive salary & annual bonus
- Gym membership
- Lunch vouchers
- Great premises situated in the heart of the 17th arrondissement of Paris