We are on the hunt for a Data Engineer who will manage the collection, storing and processing of huge data sets. Our devices are continuously collecting thousands of data points per second and we need a Data Engineer to ensure smooth data integration across all aspects of our back-end system architecture.
Felcana is an exciting early stage pet tech start-up that tracks the health, behaviour and activity of cats and dogs through connected devices. Along with helping owners to better understand their pets, Felcana provides reliable insights that empower vets to make earlier and more accurate diagnoses.
We are a small, inventive and fast-paced team that is always striving to grow both professionally and personally. We believe in being constantly challenged and we cultivate this attitude through autonomy, responsibility and open discussions. We are seeking talented individuals that share our enthusiasm and drive to help build the future.
You are an experienced Data Engineer looking for a new challenge co-ordinating and managing the collection, storage, processing and cleaning of huge data sets that are continuously being collected by our hardware devices. You will work alongside our back-end tech team and data science team to integrate data solutions across the entire back-end architecture.
We’re a startup and so our team structure is flat – you’ll work directly with James, our CEO.
- Own the storage, cleaning, and processing of huge data sets
- Manage and maintain our data storage on AWS
- Ensure the data storage solutions are fully integrated across our entire back-end architecture
- Write clear, efficient, tested code
- Monitor performance and advise on any necessary infrastructure changes
- Define data retention policies
- Assist the data science team with data analysis and supporting infrastructure
- Effectively communicate complex ideas in discussions with team members
- Either a good degree from a leading university in a relevant discipline or a minimum of 1 year’s professional experience
- Strong programming knowledge of R, Python, and Apache Spark, along with a broad knowledge of different database languages
- Experience managing servers in production, including deployment, database management, or other DevOps
- Experience with AWS
- Excellent data manipulation skills
- Experience working in a startup
- Engaged in the tech community
- Ambitious and self-starting with the ability to identify creative new approaches
- You love pets!
- Competitive salary
- Equity options available
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- World class team that includes experienced product designers, electronic engineers, and vets
- Fabulous office within Makerversity, Somerset House - a location full of designers, artists, scientists and entrepreneurs
- 20% discount across all the bars and restaurants in Somerset House
- Annual bonus to spend on anything pet related