algrano is a Swiss tech and coffee startup that changes the global trade of coffee. We have set ourselves an ambitious goal: to revolutionize the centuries old coffee trade industry and make it transparent and digital. Through the algrano online platform, coffee growers promote and sell their coffees straight to roasters in Europe without worrying about the logistics. Awarded at our launch in 2015 as the best innovation by the European Coffee Industry Association, we currently count more than 1’000 growers and roasters from all over the world. Backed by a strong investors' network our vision is to become the key direct coffee trading platform.
As a Creative Front-End Developer, you will be the icing on the algrano cake. You will transform HTML and CSS interfaces provided by the development team into a beautiful, consistent and responsive web layout. You will closely collaborate with Christian (our Product Manager) and Laura (our Service designer), as well as Fabio and Zmago (our in-house Software Team). Our tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, Twitter Bootstrap and a customized template. We host our code on Github and use a mix of Agile, Scrum and Kanban technologies to deploy high quality code. Your tasks will include:
- Design the web interface of algrano.com;
- Contribute to features design and provide usability inputs in the wireframing phase to ensure a coherent algrano style from concept to implementation;
- Adapt HTML and CSS, and provide responsive and cross-browser compatible interfaces
- Implement SEO best practices
- Ensure consistent wording across the application copywriting and manage translations
You pay attention to the little things, and you feel satisfied when you browse the r/perfectfit subreddit. You have a hybrid mind bridging creative graphic skills and technical rigorousness. You are empathic and you can intuitively design solutions.
Your strengths include:
- You are curious and a self learner
- You are self managed, you know how to prioritize your work in order to meet the deadlines
- You have a problem-solving approach, you will break down a complex work into smaller tasks
Your experience, background and skills include:
- You master HTML5 and CSS3
- You have 2+ years of relevant work experience, where you implemented responsive web interfaces
- You understand the challenges of developing user centric interfaces
- You feel comfortable to work in English (written and spoken)
- You are eligible to work in Switzerland, you hold an CH/EU/EFTA passport, or you hold a B or C residence permit.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with HAML and SCSS
- Experience with Kanban, SCRUM or other agile methodologies
- Experience using source control, e.g. Git or SVN
Why work for algrano
- You will be part of a growing and talented team that is united around a mission
- We’re dedicated but know that you also have a life. That’s why we offer flexible working hours, home office on Tuesdays or Thursdays and 5 weeks of holidays
- Amazing coffee for free, all day long
- You will be part of a movement to change a centuries-old industry and empower coffee growers all over the world!
How to apply
We don't believe in cover letters, instead we prepared a set of questions that will help us to get to know you better. Get ready with your CV and portfolio (if available), you will have to upload them in the last step of the application form. https://www.algrano.com/en/careers/creative-front-end-developer