<h1> About us </h1>
A home changes lives.
Having a place to call your own, to build memories, to feel complete… that’s something we appreciate the importance of. It’s why, at Trussle, we’re passionate about making home ownership more affordable and accessible to everyone.
As one of the most exciting fintech scale-ups in the UK, we’re leading the charge in revolutionising the journey of owning a home. We’ve started with mortgages, making the process transparent, simple, and intuitive. Our customer-first approach has made us the highest rated online mortgage broker on Trustpilot, and key partnerships with the likes of Revolut and Zoopla have helped us reach millions of home owners across the UK. But with £10 billion wasted each year by home owners being on the wrong mortgage deal, we’re far from done.
We have big ambitions, and this is reflected in the funding position we’re now in - nearly £20 million from carefully selected institutional investors including Goldman Sachs, Propel, and LocalGlobe - investors that have backed the likes of IHS Markit (Nasdaq), coinbase, DocuSign, Citymapper, Improbable, Lovefilm (acquired by Amazon), Transferwise and Zoopla (London Stock Exchange). Sky News broke the news of our latest funding round, which you can read here: https://news.sky.com/story/goldman-backs-digital-mortgage-broker-trussle-11364294
We’re excited to present you with this opportunity to join Trussle, the home of home ownership.
<h1> The role </h1>
We are looking for an outstanding Cloud Infrastructure Engineer (CIE) to lead the charge on optimising the effectiveness of Trussle’s cloud infrastructure. More specifically, we are looking for the following threefold outcomes in this hire -
- Reliable acceleration - this could involve but is not limited to defining, building and maintaining infrastructure, services and processes that help accelerate our application teams. The advocating of topics such as monitoring, performance and reliability throughout our product engineering team could also fall within scope. The key is to lead through results and influence to ensure we balance reliability with innovation at all times
- Pragmatic and solutions focused - we make use of Kubernetes, AWS, Prometheus, Go and Nodejs. However, what is most important is your ability to learn and apply tools and technology to solve problems. Inspiring engineers as to modern infrastructure and development tools such as Docker is also important - our infrastructure has to be reliable and, as much as possible, automated to scale with our rapidly growing engineering teams.
- Customer centered - the last, but not least, important criterion is focus on our customers and business mission. This unites us all but, as the owner of our cloud infrastructure you, in particular, are in charge of centering our debates and driving a culture of customer-focused decision making when it comes to readiness and reliability. You are able to drive results through collaborative influence, advising application teams to design highly available services.
<h1> About you </h1>
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants a pivotal role, impacting right across the business. We are looking for an ambitious individual to join our team and grow with us. You are confident and enjoy the challenge of always developing by seeking out responsibilities to control your own career progression. You have a strong sense of urgency and focus on on the right outcomes every hour of the day. We believe that the following skills (or equivalent experience) could serve you well in this role:
- Clear results focus - this skill could have been gained through experience working in a product led organisation with significant and constant stakeholder feedback loops, ideally at a leading institution. You know how to distill natural language requirements into robust technical ones that you and your fellow engineers deliver on consistently
- Technical skills - You will understand and have experience operating a scheduler/resource manager. You also have commercial experience of either Go or Node.js along with one other programming language (or more!). Having experienced the strengths and weaknesses of microservices in a growing engineering team will serve you well, alongside a deep knowledge and war stories of containerisation (probably Docker) and exposure to a wide range of AWS services. You take pride in and have automated the pain-points of fellow developers successfully before.
- Other - (i) experience dealing with critical business issues, (ii) willingness to respond to ad-hoc requests and projects, (iii) strong academic credentials, and (iv) excellent written and verbal communication skills.
<h1> Company structure working culture </h1>
Structure - we work in autonomous teams of which each team is equipped with the talent and tools required to perfect acquisition, retention and the scalability of our product.
Results over time - we trust people to manage their time to focus on results. If you need to work from home to finish a project or leave early to manage your energy, ensure your manager knows in advance, but as long as the results are there we encourage you to take it.
Engineering specific -
As a rule, we’re technology agnostic, if you can articulate why a particular language or piece of technology is right for Trussle, we want you to bring this to the table.
Current technology stack is primarily a Node.js shop with SPA in the front end. Depending on the application, the front end is written in either React or Angular(1.x), with SASS – our preferred CSS extension language. Our API powers the front end, serving data from either PostgreSQL or Elasticsearch. We have recently built and will continue to build on Go microservices. Everything is hosted on AWS, letting docker take care of the containment, including our messaging and serverless setup.
- (i) Professional development – budget plus time (5 days!) to spend on whatever helps you improve and deliver outcomes.
- (ii) Workplace pension - we're set up with Aviva to make sure we're contributing to help you save for retirement.
- (iii) Season ticket loans - to help you secure any discount available on a 12 month ticket.
- (iv) Holiday – 25 days a year + an extra day for your birthday,
- (v) Socials, food & drink - Free breakfast, fruit, tea and coffee, beer and wine on Friday, team lunches every other week. We also host plenty of socials.