We are looking for a Big Data Architect to join our team and lead the design and implementation of FindHotel’s data architecture. This is an exciting opportunity to have a major impact on the business by allowing us to scale to a completely new level, while keeping all our decision-making data-driven.
What you will be doing:
- Understanding business goals and translating them into technical requirements. You are the link between the needs of the organization and the data scientists and data engineers.
- Selecting big data platforms and tools, designing solutions, testing, and managing the deployment of such solutions.
- Partitioning work into manageable units for the data engineers.
- Writing code, with a focus on distributed data storage and computing.
- Mentor and collaborate with other team members.
- Compare & contrast competing technology options, and recommend a path forward.
- Stay up-to-date and experiment with new technologies and best patterns and practices.
Why join now?
- We have completely re-built the internals of our product and set the foundations to transform FindHotel from a search product into a recommendation system. This transition will obviously be driven by data and will bring exciting data engineering and data science challenges.
- We are looking to grow traffic from 2M monthly visitors to +10M within the coming year. Doing that in a market as mature and competitive as online accommodation means that we need to be truly innovative. If you have a great idea nobody will stop you from giving it a try!
- We have just built a tool that allows us to scale our Search Marketing Campaigns to a completely new level. This means massive datasets and unique challenges in terms of data science, engineering and automation.
- We have formed a solid team of two data scientists and two data engineers and we are looking to grow the team considerably in the near future. You will have the chance to grow with us.
People we like:
- Experience building big data solutions in the cloud, preferably with more than one cloud provider.
- Active knowledge of modern architectural cloud patterns and best practices.
- Experience designing and architecting distributed systems capable of ingesting, storing and analyzing hundreds of terabytes of data.
- Sound knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL stores (DynamoDB, Cassandra).
- Advanced programming skills, preferably Scala and Python.
- Experience in agile software development.
- Experience leading and coaching data engineers.
- Experience with distributed computing systems (e.g. Spark).
People we love:
- Curious, not afraid to make mistakes and willing to question the status quo.
- Detail oriented, but practical enough to avoid perfectionist pitfalls.
- Deep knowledge of the AWS cloud.
- Hands-on experience with data streaming technologies (e.g. Kafka, Storm, Flink, Spark streaming, Beam, …).
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in a diverse international team in a startup environment
- An agile environment where communication and initiative is valued and cherished
- Many chances to develop yourself including access to courses and conferences
- No nonsense! We’re proud of our flat hierarchy and short democratic decision paths
- A fun work environment that includes a delicious lunch, unlimited snacks and beer, ping pong tables and foosball
- Competitive compensation package including bonuses and Stock Appreciation Rights
- Flexible time off vacation policy
- Great new spacious and light-filled office located in central Amsterdam