All-round software developer, EV Charging Infrastructure
Are you smart and energetic enough to join the EVI team, showing an effective and passionate contribution to the team? If that’s that a YES, then let’s sit down and have a talk to see where you can fit in the team and enjoy the fun of working in the rapidly emerging EV market. Making sure ABB will stay the number one in the exploding EV charging market!
ABB is market leader in fast charging solutions which enable 15-30 min. charging time for electric cars, a game-changing technology which allows mass adoption of clean transportation. Next to charging systems, our web-connected fast charging solutions offer a wide range of connectivity features such as remote monitoring, remote management & assistance, payment system and smart-grid integration.
In the beginning of 2018 the application team was created inside the EV product group to become the innovative group of people who can act, feel and create like a startup inside a large corporate organization. In 2019 we have doubled the team and this year we can grow again to be able to serve the need for innovation in this very rapidly evolving market which will change the world of transportation and energy management significantly.
For our application team in Delft or Eindhoven, we are looking for a:
All-round software developer
Your technical skills, some key words: PLC, C++, smart grid, Linux ubuntu, Industry automation 4.0, embedded software, modbus, edge computing, Python, networking, power management, OPC_UA, docker, Grafana, charging protocols CCS/CHAdeMO/AC/VAS/…., robotics, object recognition and DevOps.
Your soft skills/attitude: you will be part multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary innovation team focusing on the electrification of the world wide car fleet, which feels like a startup environment . So when you are a hands-on, flexible, good communicator and a quick learner you will definitely feel at home, in this highly motivated team of about fifteen professional engineers in a nice mix of boys and girls.
The application team (or A-team), will take responsibility from initial concept up to first field deployments including service and supporting the new product introduction in the ABB factories. Once a product is commercially successful and all basic procedures are there, our baby will be fully handed over into the capable hands of a Product group within ABB to make the step to mass production. Then the application team will take a more consultancy role for this product and continues with new/startup innovations.
Your contribution to the team is to act as an software developer, this means responsible for implementing, testing and first deployment field support. The focus will be on real-time field level, but you will also develop on the Edge device to make sure both work together as one. This is contributing to a solution that supports the energy management and optimization on the e-Mobility sector. You will pick up your use stories autonomously, find and filling the details yourself before start the design and implementation.
The team follows the DevOps methodology on all three development layers PLC, Edge and cloud developed. The cloud development is fully integrated and supported by the global ABB ability team industry leaders in their field.
How your day could look like, just a random pick of the task which could occur:
- Start the week with your small team in a stand-up (remote now so also a social event in this corona times..)
- Have a meeting with the PLC B&R developers in Austria or our EoL test team in Italy.
- Develop new features in the power management edge layer and the real-time PLC field controller to optimize the charging currents.
- Join a commissioning in Sweden being the first field deployment of your software with 450KW high-power chargers and battery energy storage.
- Create a local user interface for the customer in Mappview or Grafana.
- Pick up a use story and implement an predictive algorithm to make a battery energy storage system more efficient.
- Get training on the latest and greatest EV charging systems on service and expert level.
- Get into an enthusiastic discussion with the team how to implement charging airplanes into the control algorithms to protect the fuse and optimize site power.
- Check your developed feature by preparing and execute a full system test in our brand-new facilities in Eindhoven or Delft.
- Support the Formula E race in Hongkong or Rome.
- Come up with some good ideas how to use the DevOps more efficient.
- Enjoy the team events about two times a year, where we take turns to come up with something fun to do together.
Requirement on skills
- You have a technical degree (HBO or TU level) with a Junior working experience (>2 years) in a technical environment.
- You are a good communicator and a team-player with creativity and persistence tackle technical challenges.
- Your like a fish in the water with PLC’s, Linux, docker and databases.
- You have a very good understanding of networks architecture and configurations.
- You feel very comfortable with languages like; structured texts and function blocks (PLC), Bash and Python.
- You are self-reliant and will proactively engage colleagues in the DevOps team.
- Very important soft skills in this innovation team is that you are able to; keep moving forward with uncertain requirements, curiosity in new technologies and eager to implement.
- You have a good knowledge of English (Dutch a plus or you like to learn).
We offer: you a varied job in an international group that attaches great importance to the development of its staff, as well as to quality and safety. In this position, we also offer you the opportunity to specialize in ABB products and systems. Of course, we offer you a competitive and attractive package of employment conditions.
Register your CV and apply online via www.abb.nl by clicking on ‘Careers’. For questions regarding the open position please contact Jacqueline Pereboom, e-mail: [email protected], tel.: + 31 (0)10-4078214.