The number of international migrants globally has grown exponentially over the past years, reaching 258 million in 2017, with 30% attempting to create or maintain a stable life in Europe. In the same year, 2.9 million people became asylum seekers, the largest annual increase in the history of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees*. The problem of integration materialises via challenges encountered when these people reach their destination: language, culture, lack of an informal support network. Other factors include ethnic and religious discrimination and xenophobia.
We address the two main causes of the problemthe language barrier and the lack of an opportunity to meet the “otherwith a community-based solution. Participants come to our program motivated by teaching their language or culture, or learning a language and culture. In doing so, they communicate, break prejudices, create friendships and, ultimately, build an informal support network.
Articles about SPEAK:
- October 13, 2021 Berlin-based mental health startup ahead raises €1.12 million to help you master your emotions
- October 11, 2021 The 5 invisible lies that are holding you back in life and business (Sponsored)
- September 28, 2021 Dublin-based data compliance & relationship startup DataShips raises €2.6 million
- September 28, 2021 Quiz: True or Fake startups. Can you tell the difference?
- September 27, 2021 Stockholm-based CAKE nabs €51.3 million for its electric motorcycles and mopeds
- September 23, 2021 Fundraising Etiquette: A Guide for Founders – Part 2, Investor Pipeline
- September 23, 2021 London-based LVNDR raises €1.7 million for its inclusive sexual health solutions for the LGBTQ+ community
- September 23, 2021 “Do I really need external funding and is my company really a VC case?”: Interview with Uwe Horstmann, Co-Founder and General Partner of Project A Ventures
- September 22, 2021 “Our goal is to showcase what femtech can accomplish and that it is worth investing in”: Interview with Flo’s (the period tracker app) CEO and co-founder, Dmitry Gurski
- September 21, 2021 “We do not think femtech is niche”: Interview with Pollie’s co-founders Jane Sagui and Sabrina Mason
- September 21, 2021 Travel Startups: Join the pitch competition of the FutureTravel Summit on November 24th (Online)
- September 20, 2021 “If you want to lead and make an impact, you have to be your true authentic self”: Interview with Yvonne Bajela, Founding Member and Principal at Impact X Capital
- September 15, 2021 Feeling stressed? These ‘just-funded’ European stresstech startups can help
- September 9, 2021 Latvian startup Printify nabs €38 million from investors like Virgin Group and Will Smith’s Dreamers VC
- September 3, 2021 ‘Purpose banking’ for startups: How to incorporate your values into your finances?
- September 2, 2021 Why European startups should go multilingual as soon as possible (Sponsored)
- August 30, 2021 “There is a need for inner-city spaces where businesses and customers can interact with each other”: Interview with Storebox’s CCO, Ferdinand Dietrich
- August 26, 2021 10 cool tech events you shouldn’t miss out on this September