The number of international migrants globally has grown exponentially over the past years, reaching 258 million in 2017, with 30% attempting to create or maintain a stable life in Europe. In the same year, 2.9 million people became asylum seekers, the largest annual increase in the history of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees*. The problem of integration materialises via challenges encountered when these people reach their destination: language, culture, lack of an informal support network. Other factors include ethnic and religious discrimination and xenophobia.
We address the two main causes of the problemthe language barrier and the lack of an opportunity to meet the “otherwith a community-based solution. Participants come to our program motivated by teaching their language or culture, or learning a language and culture. In doing so, they communicate, break prejudices, create friendships and, ultimately, build an informal support network.
Articles about SPEAK:
- October 28, 2020 London-based ‘next gen’ market research startup Streetbees raises €34 million to advance deeptech to decode human behaviour
- October 28, 2020 10 online tech events you shouldn’t miss out on this November
- October 23, 2020 “Sustainability is an increasingly important criteria in the decision-making process by customers”: Interview with Tylko’s co-founder Benjamin Kuna
- October 23, 2020 Jazz icon Quincy Jones invests in Belgian AI-driven musictech startup Musimap
- October 22, 2020 China’s digital yuan is already here. Do we need a digital euro?
- October 9, 2020 Polish startup Zowie eyes up expansion for its AI-based customer support system after €508K seed round
- October 9, 2020 5 tips for leading your startup in times of crisis
- October 7, 2020 German intermittent fasting app Fastic snaps up €4.3 million to continue US expansion
- October 5, 2020 Want to network online? Check out these European LinkedIn alternatives
- October 2, 2020 Weekly VC Overview: All 74 European funding rounds we tracked this week (Sept. 28 – Oct. 2, 2020)
- October 2, 2020 Paris-based Colette nabs €1 million to grow its co-living solution for students and lonely seniors
- September 25, 2020 10 online tech events you shouldn’t miss out on this October
- September 23, 2020 How can we discuss racial diversity and inclusion at work? (interviews with founders)
- September 22, 2020 French SportTech startup RunMotion Coach raises €300K to expand in US, UK and Spain
- September 22, 2020 5 engaging Europe-based founders to follow on LinkedIn
- September 21, 2020 Why founders should invest in personal branding – and three ways to get started
- September 17, 2020 Helsinki-based HappySignals snaps up €4.7 million to help put employee experience at the core of digital transformation
- September 11, 2020 5 great ways to motivate your employees beyond their salary