The number of international migrants globally has grown exponentially over the past years, reaching 258 million in 2017, with 30% attempting to create or maintain a stable life in Europe. In the same year, 2.9 million people became asylum seekers, the largest annual increase in the history of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees*. The problem of integration materialises via challenges encountered when these people reach their destination: language, culture, lack of an informal support network. Other factors include ethnic and religious discrimination and xenophobia.
We address the two main causes of the problemthe language barrier and the lack of an opportunity to meet the “otherwith a community-based solution. Participants come to our program motivated by teaching their language or culture, or learning a language and culture. In doing so, they communicate, break prejudices, create friendships and, ultimately, build an informal support network.
Articles about SPEAK:
- March 5, 2021 “Once’s vision is to create the post-swipe dating world”: Interview with Once’s CEO and founder, Clémentine Lalande
- March 5, 2021 10 promising startups from the Czech Republic to watch in 2021
- March 4, 2021 Don’t miss our fireside chat with Glovo CEO Oscar Pierre at the upcoming EU-Startups Summit!
- March 3, 2021 Austrian femtech startup breathe ilo raises €3 million to grow its CO2-based fertility tracking device in the UK
- March 1, 2021 “AI music isn’t here in place of traditional music – it’s here to enhance and complement it”: Interview with Loudly’s CEO, Rory Kenny
- February 25, 2021 10 cool tech events you shouldn’t miss out on this March
- February 25, 2021 Vienna-based Wowflow raises €300K to help facility management teams focus on real work
- February 24, 2021 What learnings will you share? Join the EU-Startups Summit online as a workshop speaker!
- February 10, 2021 10 European startups helping you find the perfect Valentine’s Day gift
- February 4, 2021 London-based Jack & Bry raises €1.4 million as demand for its plant-based jackfruit ‘meat’ products soars
- February 3, 2021 5 tips for nailing your first startup internship
- February 1, 2021 Could you handle being part of a startup’s founding team?
- January 27, 2021 The Global Startup Awards 2020 Global Winners have been announced!
- January 27, 2021 10 cool tech events you shouldn’t miss out on this February
- January 21, 2021 Apply now to join the finals of our big Pitch Competition at this year’s EU-Startups Summit (April 28-30)
- January 21, 2021 5 ways startup marketing has changed in the past 5 years
- January 20, 2021 Barcelona-based Landbot secures €6.5 million Series A for its no-code chatbot builder
- January 20, 2021 Are founders with ‘extroverted’ personalities usually more successful?