The European startup ecosystem is full of interesting and exciting news, twists and turns. At EU-Startups, our aim is to keep you informed on everything that’s going on and share the inspiring entrepreneurial spirit this continent has to offer. From big funding announcements, duocorns picking up pace, to new partnerships and conscious collaborations – there’s never a dull day!
This week, a new cultivated meat to have on your radar, greentech collaborations and Tech Nation closes its doors.
Launches and Expansions
- A collection of leading venture capitalists have joined forces to launch ImpactVC, which aims to drive venture capital’s ability to solve challenges including the cost-of-living crisis, mental health and climate change.
- Linkup, the social revolution app that encourages in-person socialising announced its ALPHA launch. Founded by Jack Peagam and Ben Whatson, Linkup was created to encourage living in the moment, connecting like-minded people and lowering the barriers to socialising in the digital age.
- Taster expanded to its 5th market and it’s gone Dutch. It’ll begin by serving its flagship franchise, OutFry, in Amsterdam. Out Fry is already the third biggest fried chicken brand on delivery platforms in France and the plan is to quickly roll out the brand – alongside other Taster brands – across the Netherlands over the coming weeks and months.
- Mewery introduced the first prototype of cultivated meat based on microalgae. This piece of meat, unique in the world, is combining pork cells (75%) and microalgae cells (25%).
Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Sorare, the global sports entertainment company, announced a four-year license with the Premier League. The agreement will allow Sorare to release digital cards of players from all 20 Premier League clubs as part of its free-to-play online fantasy football game and will provide fans with another way to connect with their favourite clubs and players.
- Staex entered into a partnership with Greenbox, a company specializing in sustainable energy solutions. This partnership aims to build a secure and reliable mobile charging infrastructure for the EV and hydrogen fueling industry.
- Reed & Mackay, a global service leader for corporate travel and event management, is now working with SQUAKE to make sustainable travel more accessible for its clients through enhanced sustainability data.
- Orka Works, has partnered with Workforce Management Software company TEAM Software by WorkWave to create better access to work in the Facilities Management industry.
- Greek firm Big Pi Ventures launched Big Pi II, its second fund with €50 million. The fund will focus on deeptech startups, investing between €1-3 million in each company.
- Unmind announced its acquisition of Frankie Health. This latest acquisition will enable the workplace mental health platform to provide a new service to its customer – Unmind Talk, an innovative new product that aims to change the way employees access mental health and wellbeing support.
- Uniphore, a leading conversational AI and automation platform provider announced a new acquisition with UK-based Red Box that expands the company’s voice and screen-reading AI capabilities.
Milestones and Insights
- Metsä Group, a Finnish forest industry group that operates in international markets, has been awarded as Finland’s most startup-friendly company in 2022, receiving the award for the second year running. it was recongisded for its support of startup communities, advancing sustainable innovations related to various wood-based materials with investments, R&D and production support, thus helping startups bring their innovation to the masses.
- Agritech is one of Europe’s better-performing market areas. The continent, which has been particularly affected by the ongoing war in Ukraine, is proving to be a key market in terms of agriculture and FoodTech solutions. And so the number of investments in startups that focus on sustainable solutions is expected to grow this year.
- In order to mark World Cancer Day, EIT Health is investing €6 million into innovative healthcare models. Gynaecological cancer diagnostics start-up, MiMARK, is just one of the many examples of EIT Health-backed solutions that shift the dial from a traditional, treatment-based healthcare model to a preventative model.
- Polish firm PFR Ventures unveiled it was investing €55 million in four green venture capital and growth equity funds, under the PFR GreenHub FoF programme. It’s the newest bid to foster green innovation in Poland and finance the development of innovative climate technologies that look to address the climate crisis.
- French startup Crisp is now “WhatsApp Business Solution Provider” and launched an OpenAI integration dedicated to customer service as conversational AI continues to make imapct.
- TechNation shut down and sent shockwaves through the UK’s tech and startup community.