During 2021, small and medium-sized companies (SMEs) in the European Union can apply to the SME Fund and get reimbursed up to €1500 on their intellectual property costs.
Too many companies do not make use of intellectual property (IP) protection opportunities and put themselves in a disadvantaged position. Only 9% of small and medium-sized companies in the EU have registered IP rights but those that do report 68% more income per employee than those that don’t (IP Contribution Study 2021). In addition, financial analysts and investors recognise IP as a critical asset in a firm’s value indicating its technological and growth potential.
Given these findings, the European Commission and the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) have recently launched the Ideas Powered for Business SME Fund, a €20 million grant scheme aimed at businesses that wish to develop their IP strategies and protect their IP rights at national, regional or EU level.
Applications now open for July
Successful applicants can get reimbursed for:
- 50% of the cost of basic application fees for trade marks and designs at national, regional and EU level (all EU countries);
- 75% of the cost of IP pre-diagnostic service (IP Scan) to help you develop an IP strategy (SMEs registered in these countries can apply).
See here information and the application form in all EU languages.
The July window for applications is open. Prepare your application now using the ‘check list for applicants’.
Free expert advice on your intellectual property matters
In addition, if you have questions on any intellectual property matter, the EUIPO will put you in touch with intellectual property experts who can help you free of charge. Apply here for free personalised consultations offered by IP experts from all over the EU. The EUIPO will match you with IP experts according to your needs and that speak your language.
These initiatives are part of the EUIPO ‘Ideas Powered for business’ support services to help EU businesses during the COVID-19 crisis.
Tips for your application
- SMEs registered in the European Union are eligible to apply
- Apply to the SME Fund and wait for the grant decision BEFORE applying for your trade mark and/or design and/or IP pre-diagnostic service (IP scan)
- Use the ‘check list for applicants’ to prepare the documentation for your SME fund application
- Check this list to see if the IP Scan is offered under the SME Fund in your Member State before applying for that service
- Read the FAQs if you still have questions. Questions and answers are available in all EU languages
- Apply here for free personalised consultations offered by IP experts from all over the EU
For further information, please email [email protected] or call EUIPO +34 965 139 100.