Startups are springing up everywhere in Europe at an increasing rate. In the beginning of this year, we took a look at major European countries and tried to come up with a list of 5 startups (each country) to look out for in 2015. We started with Italy– and it’s been hard to narrow this list down to 5. However we’ve decided to just go with 5 promising Italian startups out of different sectors. All of them entered the market within the last two years and each of the listed startups has something special to add to the web experience in 2015.
1. Waynaut: A Milan-based startup which offers Multimodal Directions as a Service. Every means of transportation, from subway to carpooling, in a single platform. Founded in 2013, Waynaut aims to make order out of transport data chaos. The startup allows every website or app to show their users the best way to get where they need, from door to door, using traditional and innovative means of transportation. With their API, they can act as a platform which will enable everyone, for a reasonable fee, to integrate their multimodal routing power everywhere. In October 2014 Waynaut raised €500K in funding.
2. BAASBOX: Founded in 2013, BAASBOX is the first Backend as a Service (BaaS) that is open source, free to download, free to use and free to modify. It’s basically a server that provides general backend services for your mobile Apps. The Rome-based BAASBOX team created a software that supports all app developers across the globe who want to develop their apps at the fastest and most convenient rate. So far, the young company has raised € 330K in seed funding.
3. MakeItApp: A social network that connects people with ideas and people with skills to form teams to realize their Apps and to share the revenues generated. People with domain expertise and ideas find developers, graphic and interaction designers, project managers. Skilled and talented individuals choose to engage in projects they believe in. But to succeed and generate revenues, having the right App is only half the job. Makeitapp takes care of the marketing and sales, provides a social collaboration space, developers tools, marketing services, and an advertising and customer profiling platform to leverage on the quantity of Apps. The Milan-based startup was founded in 2013.
4. CharityStars: Founded in 2013, CharityStars is n innovative online platform that organizes vip charity auctions in Italy and the UK. It’s the first fundraising platform dedicated entirely to the auction of objects and encounters with famous people, whose proceeds go to charity to the non-profit organization that have joined the project. Headquartered in Milan, CharityStars so far has raised € 400K. The next step for CharityStars is probably an expansion to Germany.
5. ZenSuite: Founded in 2014, ZenSuite is a SaaS startup which allows hoteliers to create desktop and mobile websites, managing their presence on different channels, as well as to accept online reservations and receive online payments. ZenSuite also enables hoteliers to manage room inventory and load prices on the main online distribution systems all from the same interface. So far, the Roncade-based startup raised €55K in seed funding.
By the way: If you’re a corporate or investor looking for exciting startups in a specific market for a potential investment or acquisition, check out our Startup Sourcing Service!